45. The perfect revenge

Jacob followed his brother down the stairs, hearing a voice he had not in sometime, one he never wanted to hear again.
"Jake my boy" his father greeted merrily, Lenard holding his brothers arm to stop him pulling his gun.
"What the hell do you want?" Jacob growled
"Came to see my boys"
"You've seen us now leave"
"I heard there were new members of the family I ain't met yet. New girls. New kids. Even you. Was surprised to hear that one. My Jake getting hitched. You get married without telling me, Jake?"
"I did, so did Harry. You weren't wanted at either occasion. Same as you weren't welcome at Danny or Lenard's."
"I heard. Doris. Nice choice." He nodded impressed "boy or girl, son? I heard you'd popped a sprog."
"Boy" Harrison replied unimpressed, he was young the first time his father left, the second time he'd got his hopes up, got attached, not listening to his brothers words of warning not to trust him. Feeling like he'd let Jacob down by falling for his dads act, that he'd betrayed the brother that helped raise him.

"Elliot Evans. Two days old. Married Doris six months past."
"Thought as much. Chip off the old block. Good boy. Your gran would be impressed. Evans rules right boys, get her down that aisle once you've put that bun in the oven, if you're sure it's yours mind." He chuckled proudly
"You wanna talk about family morals? About Evans family rules? What about mum? What about Betty! What about your children! You abandoned us all, you screwed us over twice and left us with nothing! You shirked your responsibility to mum, to us! Don't stand there looking so smug. You hypocrite!" Jacob spat out at his father.
"You're one to talk. I hear you got a toddler and only just married the tart."
"Watch your mouth!" Jacob was held back

"Guess it's true then" he lit a cigarette "been living in sin with a whore. Take it the kid ain't yours then, Jake."
"I said watch your mouth, old man!"
"Wow, I thought it tall tales! Maggie's favourite, her golden boy bringing the Evans name in to disrepute. So who is this whore? Whose kid is it? Never thought I'd see the day my Jacob married, Mr lone Wolf himself, love um leave eh Jake. she one of Gile's girls? He said you were a regular. Take it she's up the duff then if she's managed to drag you down an aisle."
"Dad, stop!" Barney pleaded "she ain't no such thing. Jake's right, you got no right to stand here and shout the odds! Not after what you did! twice over!"
"Like I told Gran, your mum stepped out on me, I ain't no mug to stick around for a slapper, a child murderer on top. We don't abort our mistakes in this family, we raise them. As for her youngest, kid weren't mine, if your Gran was stupid enough to believe she was an Evans then that's on her not me." He shrugged "guess I'm less gullible than my son. you been a mug and taken on a whores bastard? She even know whose it is? A punters?"
"I swear you don't shut up and leave I'll bloody kill you, women and children here or not." Jacob growled

"Jake, Evie." Danny nodded behind him
"Little darling, get back upstairs. This don't concern you. Look after Maggie and Betty."
"This is your father, Jacob?" Yvonne asked nervously, having never seen a photograph, Jacob burning every last one he was in, banning his name being mentioned.
"Unfortunately." Jacob snuffed out angrily "just go upstairs. I'll deal with him. Ignore him, don't listen in."
"Who might you be then little miss?"
"This is Jake's wife, Yvonne" Harrison explained "Evie this our so called father, Roy Evans."

"You look vaguely familiar." Roy stepped a little closer, Yvonne searching for Jacob's hand worriedly "you one of Gile's girls, my dear? We acquainted?"
"I said shut.it" Jacob growled, pulling Yvonne closer to him
"Dad." Danny pulled at Roy's arm "she ain't no working girl. Alright. So stop winding him up."
"Welcome to the family, Evie is it?"
"Yes sir." She nodded glancing at an angry Jacob, looking like a volcano that was ready to burst at any second. She extended a shaky hand politely "Yvonne, Evie for short. It's a pleasure."
"It really ain't" Jacob mumbled
"Pleasure to meet you my dear, well aren't you prim and proper eh. Not from round these parts. Definitely not one of my brother's girls." He laughed, scrunching his face confused at the woman shaking as she shook his hand "you scared of me, little miss? What's he told you about me to get you trembling, eh? If you married my Jake you ain't no innocent wall flower. Jake don't go for the innocent type. You know men like me. You married one. He's a chip off the old block."
"I ain't nothing like you. Little darling, step away. You alright?" He whispered checking on her.
"I'm fine. I'm here, Jacob. Stay calm." She reassured him "don't rise to his bait. I will stay to help you keep your head." She whispered reassuringly