17. Time ain't something I've got on my side

"Was this worth it, Jake?" Barney asked inspecting the contents of one of the mystery crates that had appeared on the docks that night, the dock worker sending for the Evans boys.
"No! What the hell! Who whores out their daughter for this?" He inspected a box of cheap cigars.
"Still don't know your enemy that well, mr Evans"
Jacob turned smiling at Yvonne standing in the shadows watching them, with an amused expression on her face.
"Miss Barnes. A pleasure as always" he greeted. She walked over pulling a blade from her boot. The Evans boys automatically reaching for their guns. She took the Cigar box from Jacob's hand, tipping out the contents, jimmying open the false bottom with her knife.
"My father sends his regards, mr Evans. He hopes you are satisfied with your payment and that it concludes your business."
"Cocaine?" He asked holding up a tiny glass bottle "this was all about snow? How much was the deal for?"
"Three crates is small fry, mr Evans" she leant in teasingly "you should have pushed for more." She whispered at him "you underestimated a Barnes. Been doing this for a lot longer than you think. Theres more than one reason he sends me and not my brothers to seal business deals. They're the muscle, Marcus and myself were the brains. Been groomed to do this since I was five years old. Secret weapon, remember. Might have more than snow in my crates, guess you'll never know." She winked at them "Gentleman" she nodded walking away.

"Wait!" Jacob ran after her "you alone?" He asked looking around, seeing a tall figure waiting on the bridge. "One of your brothers or cousins? Which one?"
"No" she looked away "we can't do this now" she whispered "are you going to the London ball?"
"Wasn't planning on it. Not really for likes of us. Why?"
"Perhaps you should consider it, Mr Evans." She looked back at the figure approaching turning quickly back to him "please?" She asked pleadingly subtly gripping his hand
"I'll be there" he nodded picking up on the unsaid
"I can't come and see you this week. My father has me otherwise engaged......take this." She slipped him a letter "we have to move on a plan soon, Jacob. Understand? We are running out of time. Have you thought of...."

"Sweetheart? All good?" A smartly dressed and well spoken man strode over
"All is as should be. Our business here is done. We can leave"
"Splendid, sweetheart" he leant down pecking her lips, Jacob's eyes widening, his nostrils flaring in anger, his jaw clenching "let's go. We can enjoy a nightcap before bed. Evening" the man tipped his Fedora at Jacob "here, you left this in the car" he placed a deep red cloche on her head familiarly, rubbing her cheek tenderly "beautiful. I knew it would suit you, sweetheart. Makes you look more grown up." He lifted her face by the chin for another more tender kiss, stringing it out, raising Jacob's anger "let's get you home. Tomorrow I've been permitted to take you for a cream tea...... just the two of us. Some time alone away from your brothers watchful eyes, I swear they e got eyes in the back of they're head." His hand skimmed down to her rear end. "We can make the most of some privacy."
"Sounds wonderful, darling"
"Come on maybe we can stop off on the way back eh? I can steel some more of those kisses from you, or you want me to sneak into your room tonight?"
"Clarke would skin you alive and you know it. You nearly got caught last night!" She giggled flirtatiously
"Only because you didn't let me in! I thought I got the wrong door!" He laughed back "I can come in through the window if you like."
"perhaps the library? They never go in there, I think my brothers are allergic to books."
"Now that is an idea you little minx. Let's go" he tickled her, tapping her backside playfully. Wrapping an arm around her, steeling another kiss.

Jacob watched the man lead Yvonne away, she glanced back at him with a worried look, he gave her nod to say he understood and to be careful.
"Not a damn word" he angrily strode back to his brothers
"Didn't say a thing" Barney shook his head "take it you don't want Rachel to know what we just saw and heard."
"A said not a damn word!" He slammed his car door "lock it all up for now. We'll deal with the snow tomorrow." He drove off back home.