6. You ask too many questions

Yvonne was nervous. She knew how these things worked, she also knew her fathers men were watching her every move. Jacob had two associates place the large bets so it was not his name, himself placing it on the other man. Despite all eyes watching them, she found herself having a pleasant time, she didn't care for the boxing, too violent for her nature, she'd seen enough bloodshed in the real world, she never understood the need for more of it in a ring for entertainment. She found herself laughing along with Gran and even Jacob, who was keeping her close, even daring to place an arm on her back to pull her closer to him, trying his best not smirk at the men he knew were there to watch them on Barnes' instruction, also feeling protective of the young girl, shooing away anyone who tried to talk to her, telling them she was with him and off limits.

When Jacob signalled to Gran that he had to tend to his business with his brothers, who had met them there, she took Yvonne to the powder room, excusing them, asking her to accompany an old lady, Yvonne gladly obliging politely. When they returned to their seats, the boys were nowhere to be seen still.
"They will be back shortly." Gran reassured before enthusiastically cheering on a grandson of a friend of hers in the ring.
"He will miss the last matches, he has bets placed" she whispered, clapping along with the others. Yvonne spotted a face disappearing with Jacob and his brothers into the back rooms, a face she didn't like. "Gran?" She asked "are they doing business with my uncle? Is that really why I am here, insurance?"
"That is not for me or you to speculate."
"Yes or no!"
"Best stay out of it."

Yvonne hurriedly stood to her feet, ignoring Gran's warning.
"Yvonne! It's Jacob's business! I am sure your father is aware your uncle is not loyal to him if you are. Best stay out of it, your uncle will not cause trouble if he knows you are here. You are correct, it is the other reason he asked for your attendance, you are insurance that trouble don't kick off!"
"It is not my uncle that is the problem. Go to the car and wait for us. Are you armed?"
"Always. What..."
"Go, now. Trouble is brewing and my uncles presence will not make a difference."

Yvonne weaved and squeezed her way through the rowdy crowd, taking a large breath to ready herself. She burst through the back rooms, calling for Jacob in an anxious panicked voice.
"Jacob! Mr Evans! Jacob!" She called out in floods of tears, stumbling over her feet. The group of men all turning confused "Jacob!" She ran into his arms
"What's wrong?" Jacob asked concerned "miss Barnes, what happened?"
"Yvonne dear? I did not realise you were here." Her uncle lied "whatever is the matter?"
"I saw the man" she looked up at Jacob with tears streaming down her face "he saw me and was following me. He tried to pull me outside. I began to relive that dreadful night all over again in my mind." She sobbed into Jacob's chest "I was so scared." She visibly trembled
"You are under my protection today. No harm will come to you" he wrapped his arms around her, rubbing the back of her head tenderly, pulling her face into his chest on instinct "I got you" he kissed her hair like he would his sisters.
"We have this. Take her. Do not worry, Yvonne. You are safe now. The pain from the loss of Gabriel will pass with time. I will come see you this weekend. Take you out for a nice cream tea, eh? Your father should have told me you were going to be here. With an Evans! I'll be having words with him. It's alright sweetheart. Jacob look after her, I'm trusting you boy, don't make me regret it. Her father might not care about throwing her into the lions den but sure as hell have a problem with it!" her uncle left, drawing his gun

"You alright now?" Danny rubbed the girls back feeling sorry for her
"We need to leave now. Back door, Grans waiting by the car." She surprised the men by instantly switching off her very convincing fake tears
"Was all that a blooming act?" Jacob asked shocked "bloody hell you're good. What's this all about? Your uncle and I have business. It does not concern you and you shouldn't have...."
"I will not tell my father, my uncle will simply say that he was challenging you over my presence here with you, I know him well. We are close, he is my godfather, he is very protective over me. that man with my uncle, with the hideous moustache and odious grin. He is an undercover agent of the crown. In the pocket of my father. My father is aware of my uncles disloyalty and has sold him out."

"Why would you stop...."
"You're my ride home" she said blankly "we need to leave, now. He is a very violent man. You do not want to get caught up in his business. I will tell my uncle you insisted on taking me home rather than wait for him because I was distraught. You can not make whatever deal you were about to, not in front of him. You need to slip away before they return to conclude your business!"
"Let's go boys, back door." Jacob instructed "thank you"
"Do not thank me. I did not do it for you. You get arrested with that letter in your possession then we are all screwed. He would have had us intercepted on the way home so not to blow his cover with my uncle."
"I see" Jacob nodded

The ride back to the Barnes estate was a silent one. The tension was thick and had shifted somewhat from the jovial one earlier that evening, all finding they were enjoying each others company somewhat surprisingly. Jacob pulled the car over on the side of the road when they neared the properties edge. He took the letter from his pocket tapping it lightly.

"What's in this letter Yvonne? Other than money. I know the weight of money when I feel it."
"Will you deliver it or not?"
"I will. If you still want me to. Listen....you seem like a nice lass. You're getting yourself into trouble. With men you should be staying well clear of. Why?"
Yvonne didn't reply, looking straight ahead
"You took a big risk to stop me getting the rope. Why?"
"Jacob" Gran shifted forward, placing a kind hand on the girls shoulder, making her visibly shudder

"You confuse me, miss Barnes." Jacob lit a cigarette. "On the one hand you are bold and fearless. On the other...." He looked her over "something happened to you, didn't it? Was it Gabriel? Those tears back there were convincing. Your uncle thinks you are grieving as does your father, I know otherwise over the feelings of his death."
"I have no love for my brother Gabriel and never have. The same goes the other way around."
"I would have thought you Barnes lot would be as close as us Evans'."
"Then I have found your weakness and why you are loosing this war between our families." She turned to look at him "you don't know a thing about who you are dealing with. Until you do.....you should not presume we are like you Evans's. Not everything you see is the truth, Jacob. You see what my father wants you to see, no more, no less."

Jacob blew out the smoke from his cigarette contemplating her words and actions "I'll ask again little miss. As a courtesy for saving my life. Are you in some kind of trouble?"
"The trouble I am in you can not help with. Other than what you already have and delivering that letter. It is the last favour I will ask of you."
"Is this why you did it?" He raised the letter "to protect him? Was this planned? You set me up?"
"If it were planned I would have shot that bastard between the eyes myself, then framed you."
"I doubt you would" Jacob chuckled "you ever shot someone lass?" He already knew the answer was no before he even asked the question.

"What trouble are you in, Yvonne?" He asked again "you in the family way?"
"Jacob!" Gran slapped his shoulder "there are ways to ask these things and that is not it!"
"No" Yvonne laughed at the pair "why what are you saying about my physique exactly, mr Evans?"
"Nothing at all lass" he laughed, then stopped "are you waiting to see if you are? Those men, I do not believe them completely fictional or innocent? Or was it Gabriel?"
"No" she cleared her throat blushing
"Ah, the rosey glow of an innocent virgin" he smirked "good girl. Keep it that way for as long as possible is my advice. So not in the pudding club. Stolen money from your father? No? He lay his hands on you lass? He a woman beater?" He moved her hair seeing more finger marks on her neck.

"You ask too many questions. Questions that could get not only you but others in trouble. We should return so you have enough time to get back safely. I thank you for the exchange we have had. I trust you will uphold the secrets we share."
"Got no choice, but yes.....I got a good feeling about you little miss...so you find yourself in any trouble." He scribbled an address down folding it before handing it to her between two fingers "my personal address. Should you require it in the future. As a mark of trust, for our new alliance."
She nodded tucking it inside her dress.
"If your father turns up I'll know who gave it him."
"He already knows where you and every member of your family live, as well as every man and woman that works or is associated with you" she laughed