Chapter 3

I wake up from the sunlight shining through my window. I stretch and get out of bed. My first instinct is to text Emma a good morning that she has never replied to but then I remember we aren't together.

I wanted to be like Mom and Mamá. For my first love to be the one. But I guess something like that is rare. Even they had their downs.

I yawn as I walk down stairs. I walk through the living room and into the kitchen. Mom and Mamá are already in the kitchen making breakfast together. Alora is sitting on the counter by Mom. Aya and Andra are at the table, Aya on her phone and Andra on her tablet.

"Good morning." Mom smiles at me.

"Good morning." I say back and sit at the table.

"Are you ok?" She asks give me a concerned look. I know she's talking about Emma, yesterday I told them about our breakup.

"I'm fine." I lie. Ever since I left Emma's house there has been this uncomfortable tightness in my chest, my heart hurts. Some for her, but mostly for me. The time I've wasted on her and let her use me. We started dating sophomore year.

"Is Rani coming today?" Aya asks me.

"No." I'm picking her up and then we're picking up Li. He doesn't go to the same school as me and Rani but I still hangout with him. Not as much as I do with Rani though. She's just closer.

When the food gets done Mom lays a plate with an Omelette on it in front of me. I thank her.

"You're welcome."

"I probably won't be coming back tonight, I'm going to a party." I tell Mom and Mamá. I never lie to them, I don't have to.

"But we have church tomorrow." Mom says.

I frown. I forgot about that. "Can't I just miss it once?"

She sighs. "I guess. You know if you don't want to go I don't make you."

"Thank you."

"Please be safe, Mija." Mamá emphasizes 'safe'.

I don't even plan on having sex with anyone. I don't think I can. "I will." I say as I cut my Omelette.

When I finish eating I take a shower. Then I brush my hair and teeth before putting on a tight black cami top and some straight leg jeans with holes in them. I slide on my high top black Converse, well not slide because they aren't that easy to put in. I grab my silver cross necklace and put in my ears my small silver stud earrings.

I watch Netflix on my TV for awhile. I hear a knock on my door. "Come in."

Mom comes in and lays on my bed beside me. "Whatcha doing?"

"Watching Netflix."

She watches it in silence for few seconds. "What is this?"

"Atypical."

A hum and she lays for awhile watching it with me.

"I like it, I'm gonna make you're Mamá watch it with me." I chuckle. "You still wanna go to the University of Kentucky?" She asks.

"Yeah." I know she's secretly hoping I'll change my mind because it's in Kentucky.

She frowns. "I'm gonna miss you so much. You're my baby. Can't believe your gonna be eighteen soon."

"I'll miss you too but I might not even get accepted."

I hear her scoff. "I know you will. You're smart and you're a good kid." She stands up. "I love you, have fun tonight and I know you're Mamá already said it but stay safe. You're a blessing, but I would not recommend having children young." I don't want kids at all but who knows maybe I'll change my mind.