Chapter 4

I wake up and for a second forget where I'm at. Sitting up I move my hair out of my face and grab my phone as I get up.

I head downstairs and find Sadia sitting at a dining table, a plate of eggs and bacon in front of her. I notice in front of her is another plate with the same stuff.

"Is that for me?" I ask.

"Yeah."

I sit across the table from her. "You made it?"

"Duh."

I grin. "How sweet of you."

She rolls her eyes.

I take bite of the bacon and chew frowning at the flavor. This is not bacon. I forgot Muslims don't eat pork. I was expecting real bacon.

"Is this... tofu bacon?" I ask not even sure if that's a thing.

She giggles. "No, it's Turkey bacon. You don't like it?"

"No it's ok."

"So are you home alone a lot?" I ask trying to make conversation.

She shrugs. "Basically, the last time I saw my parents was like seven months ago."

My eyes widen. "Your kidding?"

"I'm not. They're in Iran but I don't want to go so they let me stay here."

"Do you miss them?"

She looks down at her plate. "Yeah sometimes but I feel like they've forgotten I even exist. They never really check in on me."

Without thinking I reach across the table and lay my hand on hers but quickly move it away at the weird sensation it causes. I clear my throat as she looks at me oddly. "Sorry, but I'm sure they haven't forgotten about you they've probably just been busy." I give her a reassuring smile.

She smiles back a little before continuing to eat.

My phone vibrates on the table by my plate and I grab it seeing it's a text from Rani.

Rani: Is Sadia ok?

I reply.

Ari: Yeah.

Her reply is almost instant.

Rani: Good, let me know when you leave. I'll come over or you can come over to my house.

Ari: You're not at church?

Rani: No, If you don't go I don't go.

Ari: How come?

Rani: It's boring.

I chuckle.

Ari: Fair enough.

I start to put my phone down but it vibrates again and this time it's from Emma.

Emma: Come over.

I roll my eyes glare at my phone as I type out my reply.

Ari: No, we aren't together anymore.

Unlike Rani she doesn't reply instantly so I put my phone down and start eating again. I see Sadia looking at me.

"Why'd you go from giggling to annoyed?" Sadia asks an eyebrow raised slightly.

I smirk. "Nosy much?"

She rolls her eyes. "Whatever. I don't care that much." She goes back to eating.

I chuckle. "I'm kidding, I was texting Rani but then my ex texted me." Ex, that feels so weird to say.

"Ex? Since when do you have an Ex? I thought you were with Emma."