31. Hari's Death Glare

You spat out the thick glob of blood. It splattered against the cement floor near other stains of the same nature. The spreading pain in your stomach was a sure sign there would be a nasty bruise there come morning. The ever taciturn Chronostasis circled around you once again with the slightest look of disappointment on his uncovered face. That look on its own was its own personal brand of torture.

"This is getting boring. The least you could do is try to fight back." Chronostasis deadpanned.

Instantly you lunged in his direction, aiming to sweep his legs out from under him. Dodging easily he then knocked you aside and you once again tumbled to the ground. Groaning in pain, you pulled yourself to your feet for the hundredth time that day. This time Chronostasis aimed for the first hit. His fist grazed your cheek and you countered with a punch to his side. You landed the hit but before you knew it you were lifted in the air and your back slammed against the hard floor.

"Fuck! Hari, do you have to break my bones every time?" You hissed in pain.

"You're fine. Okay, that's enough for today."

"No, I can go again!" You pulled yourself to your feet and got into a fighting position. "Come at me!"

Hari dodged your first punch and you felt his clockwork hair twist around your wrist. Your movements slowed somewhat. It wasn't as powerful against you as you had seen with others. Still you fell to the ground again.

"You need to focus on your quirk more." Hari nitpicked. "My quirk shouldn't have as much effect on you as it does."

"I know, I just don't know how to train it. It's like a muscle I've never stretched." You rubbed your tired limbs.

"Come on, Overhaul has more testing to do." Hari turned to go.

"Ugh, I hope he doesn't draw any more blood. What is he? A vampire or something?" Hari was silent at your attempt at a joke. He continued to walk away and you hurried after him. "Why does your quirk work on me then?"

"It's probably because it doesn't physically harm you." Hari placed the plague mask over his face again while he walked. "You could overcome it if you tried though."

"You're probably right, as usual...But I don't know how to get better at it." You grumbled behind him.

"Practice."

You rolled your eyes and followed Hari down a now familiar maze of cement.

"You should find a skill that complements your quirk in battle. I have a few ideas."

In the few weeks you had been here your fighting skills had grown a lot, which isn't saying much because they were virtually nonexistent before. Training with Hari was rough, you were always careful never to disobey him when he guided you through each daily lesson. He had a calm and stern demeanor most of the time but you did not want to see him angry.

Working with your quirk was harder than you thought it would be. It was almost impossible to consciously control. Overhaul was constantly taking samples whether it be blood, hair, or skin cells. The man was persistent. You hated every moment of it, but it couldn't be helped. That was the choice you made, it could have been much worse if you had not agreed to his plan. At least this way you were learning how to fight, and you had a small amount of freedom. There was nothing you wanted more than to leave and be with Tomura again but you had to stay put. If you double crossed these people they would certainly kill you, or worse.

_____

Drip drip drip

Blood collected into a glass container, the sound nearly making you vomit. You tried not to look at the substance but it was hard to ignore. Thinking of other things only helped a little.