Discoveries and into the trapdoor

By the end of the next day, almost everyone was furious at them for losing Gryffindor one hundred and fifty points. Gryffindor had been in the lead for the House Cup for the first time in almost ten years, ahead of the Slytherins. Their little stunt put Slytherin ahead of everyone. The only ones not furious at them were the Slytherins themselves and Ron.

Harry never had a chance to go back for his cloak at the tower. He had tried to quit quidditch the next day at practice, he was so mad at himself about it. Rigel overheard him and Eliza talking to Oliver about quitting while he was waiting for them to finish changing. But Oliver wouldn't let them quit. Hermione had become more reserved, not immediately raising her hand to answer questions in class anymore, and Neville -who was also found. Apparently trying to warn them- was just as miserable. 

"I'm so sorry guys!" Rigel said guiltily.

"It's alright. If you were caught Gryffindor probably would've lost two hundred points" Harry reassured his friend.

The exams took place in the first week of June and Rigel thought that in years to come, he would laugh at the idea of doing well in his exams.

It was sweltering hot, especially in the large classroom where they did their written papers. They had been given special, new quills for the exams, which had been bewitched with an anti-cheating spell.

They had practical exams as well. Professor Flitwick called them one by one into his class to see if they could make a pineapple tapdance across a desk. Professor McGonagall watched them turn a mouse into a snuffbox — points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was but taken away if it had whiskers. Snape made them all nervous, breathing down their necks while they tried to remember how to make a Forgetfulness potion (The irony)

Their very last exam was History of Magic. One hour of answering questions about batty old wizards who'd invented self-stirring cauldrons and they'd be free, free for a whole wonderful week until their exam results came out. When the ghost of Professor Binns told them to put down their quills and roll up their parchment, Rigel couldn't help cheering with the rest.

But then the good mood disappeared when Harry went to Hagrid's and found out that when the stranger gave him the dragon egg, he also tricked Hagrd into getting drunk and at the same time revealing how to get past fluffy.

"Where are we going, Harry?" Hermione panted, out of breath from all of the runnings.

 "We've got to go to Dumbledore," said Harry. "Hagrid told that stranger how to get past Fluffy, and it was either Snape or Voldemort under that cloak — it must've been easy, once he'd got a grid drunk. I just hope Dumbledore believes us. Firenze might back us up if Bane doesn't stop him. Where's Dumbledore's office?" 

They looked around as if hoping to see a sign pointing them in the right direction. They had never been told where Dumbledore lived, nor did they know anyone who had been sent to see him. 

 "We'll just have to —" Harry began, but a voice suddenly rang across the hall

"What are you five doing inside?" 

 It was Professor McGonagall, carrying a large pile of books. 

 "We want to see Professor Dumbledore," said Hermione, rather bravely. 

 "See Professor Dumbledore?" Professor McGonagall repeated, as though this was a very fishy thing to want to do. "Why?" 

"It's kind of... secret," Eliza said rather lamely.

McGongall raised an eyebrow. 

"Professor Dumbledore left ten minutes ago," she said coldly. "He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flew off for London at once."