Forty Two

After Hopper, Joyce, and their friend Murray were told everything that had happened in their absence, they sat around trying to process the information. The rest of the group stood by, while Allison paced back and forth and Eleven laid in Hopper's lap, struggling to stay awake.

"So this monster was created specifically to kill Eleven?", Hopper inquired through gritted teeth.

"At first, but then the Mind Flayer learned about Allison and realized it had to get rid of her too. It knows they're the only ones that can stop it.", Mike explained, looking down at Eleven with admiration and worry.

"And just how big is this thing?"

"Big. At least 30 feet.", Jonathan estimated, while the others nodded along in agreement.

"Yeah. It sort of destroyed your cabin...sorry.", Lucas whispered, shooting Hopper a look of sympathy.

"And we're sure that this thing is still out there? Still alive?", Joyce asked quietly.

"El and Allison beat the shit out of it, but yeah it's still alive.", Max responded, with absolute certainty.

"For now, but maybe if we shut the Gate again-",Will interjected.

"It would kill it!", Lucas blurted out. "Theoretically."

"Yoo-hoo! Yoo-hoo!", Murray interrupted from a nearby table, frantically waving a stack of papers that he had clutched in his hand. As everyone walked over to see what the big fuss was about, he began pointing at a poorly drawn layout of the Russian bunker below their feet.

Hopper, Joyce and Murray spoke in hushed tones as they tried to come up with a plan to reach the Gate and close it, all without being caught by the Russians. Erica who had been listening closely, was quick to object, having spent an entire day down in the bunker, getting familiar with. Murray tried to dismiss her because of her age, which sparked a heated argument between the two.

"She's right!",Dustin spoke up, coming to Erica's defense. "It's a bit of maze down there, but between me and Erica, we can show you the way.", he added with a confident smile.

"Show us the way? No. Absolutely not.", Hopper scoffed, reaching for the nearby walkie talkie. "Okay, look. You can still navigate, just from someplace safe."

"The signal won't reach.", Dustin sighed. "What you need is someone who has both seen their comms room and has access to a super-powered handcrafted radio tower, preferably already situated at the highest point in Hawkins. Oh, wait. That's me.", he boasted, causing Hopper's nostrils to flare. "If you want us to navigate, you got us, but we need a head start and a car."

Hopper rubbed his chin thoughtfully and then pulled a set of car keys out of his pocket. Steve's eyes lit up as Hopper tossed them in his direction, and told him to drive carefully. Without further instruction, Steve, Robin, Dustin and Erica ran from the mall to find the stolen convertible that was parked outside.

"Alright. It's time for us to go and end this. You'll be safe at Murray's, it's nice and far from here.", Hopper insisted, as Mike and Max walked over, helping Eleven to her feet. "I'll call you once the Gate is closed."

"Wait! When you shut the Gate it won't just kill the monster, it'll kill anyone who may be the host, won't it?", Allison asked, having a sudden realization that made her stomach sink.

"Most likely. Why?"

"Billy. The Mind Flayer's been using him to build that thing. We have to figure out a way to save him."

"Shit. I hate to say it, but I don't think that's an option.", Hopper exhaled, vigorously rubbing the side of his face with his hand.

"Billy's an asshole, but we can't just let him die!", Max cried, struggling to hold on to Eleven.