Roxy and Gregory (pt. 3)

Chapter 3: On Their Own

 Roxy sat in her recharge station, feeling... worthless. Vanessa's harsh words resonated in her head.

You messed up, big time!

You ruined the show, Roxy.

Failure.

All she ever wanted was to make everyone happy, to dazzle them with her skill and beauty. But tonight she failed, and who's to say there won't be more nights where she malfunctions. Roxy buried her hands in her face and sobbed. She let everyone down tonight, she really did. Vanessa's disdain was proof of it. What if... What if they decommissioned her? They CAN'T! The stage was her life, her fans' adoration was her purpose. Roxanne started to shake, "E-everybody still loves me... Right?" she asked herself.

Her ears drooped to the side, tail between her legs. She removed her hands from her face and hugged herself, now letting the invisible tears fall in the light around her. Damn Vanessa and her words! She didn't mean to malfunction; there was a glitch in her system. That was the technicians' fault! Roxy's metal lips pulled back in a snarl. She wasn't a failure. And she never will. The wolf opened the recharge station; however, stepping out, her legs felt weak. She knew she should never listen to Vanessa; the blonde woman never knew what she was talking about, but her words only cut deeper and deeper the more Roxy thought of them. Roxy tried to collect herself, but her anxiety was getting the best of her. She sighed deeply, then suddenly remembered Gregory, and she pushed all feelings she had down.

Gregory needed her. If she didn't get him out, the others could hurt him! They weren't... themselves. Something was messing with their programming. Nothing would stop them from tearing Gregory apart. Roxanne stood to her full height, "I am not... a loser! I'm coming, Gregory!" the statements sounded like a sob, but she was never more of her words than before. With a sonorous howl, Roxanne leaped into the darkness, searching. Gregory had to be found before it was too late.

***///***

Gregory leaned on the wall, petrified. In the room with him was Chica. He could hear her, eating from some garbage bags; how and why she was doing that, he didn't know nor did he care. The problem was that he couldn't move past her. If Gregory did so, she would instantly see him. The child looked at the nearby stack of cans; maybe, if he pushed them and crouched, the chicken robot wouldn't see him. He had to try. Otherwise, he would never make it to the entrance before midnight.

Without hesitation, he crouched down and slowly made his way towards the stacked cans; the feeding robot looked up slightly, chewing on some discarded pizza. She looked from side to side then continued her feast. Gregory reached up and knocked the cans over then made a mad dash for the hallway. Chica swiftly turned, startled by the sound. Her mechanical limbs whirred as she approached the cans, head tilting slightly in confusion.

Gregory hid behind some boxes, covering his mouth with his hands; his heart was racing. Glamrock Chica looked around, "This area is off-limits." she said to no one in particular. The chicken clucked then walked down another set of doors. Greg took the chance and moved on, crouching and being as quiet as possible. He walked through some doors and found himself in the utility tunnels again. Now, he felt lonelier than before. He and Roxy had to split up in the utility tunnels as she was running out of power; Greg could really use her help right now. She could hide him from the others.

Thump, thump, thump. The sound of running footsteps frightened him; the ground shook violently. From the gate behind him came Monty, the alligator animatronic. The same one that was trashing his room. The gator swiped his claws on the gate, tearing the metal fencing open. Gregory screamed and sprinted down the corridor as fast as he could.