Roxy & Gregory: Afton Ending

Chapter 16: Quash A Recurring Threat

Our ailing heroes stared at the roaring flames in front of them. They made no attempts to move and extinguish the fire; they were too scared to. None of them wanted to approach the smoldering remains that were Freddy. Roxanne was still in disbelief at the events that just transpired. Gregory clutched her leg, trembling. Neither of them could believe it. William Afton has been dead for decades. And yet, they heard his voice, saw his cursed purple eyes, and narrowly survived him. Worst of all, even though Freddy is destroyed, they could still feel him. They feel him laughing at them, mocking them.

Roxanne looked at Gregory with wide eyes. She balled her fists, horrified, and angered at everything around her. She wracked her mind, trying to understand how he was still alive. Even if Afton had somehow escaped arrest and been living on the run, he would be over a hundred years old; with pre-existing mental illness, there is no viable way that his mind is sound enough to hack an entire security system. So how. How on God's green Earth is William Afton alive? How can he so easily slip away from justice's grasp? He turned a place of joy and laughter into a slaughterhouse, to fulfill his craving for murder.

The wolf animatronic pulled herself away from Gregory's grip and walked to a nearby wall, then violently punched it. Cracks spider-webbed across the concrete. Roxy had an overwhelming sense of being trapped. She felt disgusted standing there. The company vowed with their lives that this would never happen again; no child would ever die while spending time in the megaplex. No parent would fear for their children's safety while playing in the mall. For god's sake, the parents felt safe enough to leave them alone with the animatronics. Years of building trust with the public and earning their adoration gone in a single night. It does not matter if they apprehend Vanny. That still does not mean that, despite their efforts, the Afton curse will forever follow the company. No one will ever step foot in any location. Her home was gone...

They would never have another show again.

Death was closing in on them.

Roxanne collapsed on the floor, sobs escaped her before she could even stop herself. She dug her fingers into her scalp, shaking violently as thoughts raced through her mind. Roxanne had no idea how long Afton's been here; for all she knew, or anybody knew for that matter, he could have been here since the very beginning, hiding in the shadows, and bidding his time before striking. Most heart-wrenching of all, how many kids did he kill? How many innocent children that had whole futures before them were snuffed out in an instant, right under their noses? Roxanne felt sick. Besides being an entertainer, she was supposed to be attentive to the signs. She can see through walls! Her built-in scanners should have spotted him! Thousands of dollars and years of engineering did nothing to stop him. Roxanne is nowhere near as perfect as she tells herself. Because of her flaws, countless kids have died.

A tiny hand softly grabbed her shoulder. Roxanne recoiled at the touch. She cowered away from Gregory, unable to look at him; she wrapped an arm around her face and continued to tremble. The little boy frowned and tugged on her hair, "Roxy... What do we do?" he asked. But his robotic guardian did not respond. Gregory fought back tears of his own. The crushing feeling of hopelessness shot pinpricks of pain into his heart; he could not think of a way to calm her down or make her feel better. Roxy's mind was somewhere else; seeing that murderer in the flesh again shook her to the core, even for an animatronic. Gregory hugged her arm and remained silent; this time, Roxy did not pull away.

Slowly, he realized that her metal skin was heating up. The breathing-like noises from her chest quickened. Gregory fearfully let go and took a step back. Roxanne turned her head quickly, amber eyes blazing with anger. The wolf stood at her full height, "We have to end this." she declared.