Roxy and Gregory (pt. 5)

Chapter 5: Teetering Hope

Gregory backed away from the robot, feeling fear building up in every corner of his body. The once bright and friendly Sun was replaced by a malevolent, moon-themed animatronic. The sun part of his face was blackened, leaving only the moon part behind; his whole color scheme had switched to black and silver. Fluorescent stars glowed on his now blue pants; a sleeping cap with stars sat on his head, a bell jingling at the end. The moon animatronic cackled as he jumped into the air, disappearing into the darkness. Gregory blinked, once, twice, before bolting.

"Gregory, what have you done?"

Greg looked at his FazWatch, "I-I didn't do anything! I just grabbed a security badge and the lights went off!"

"The power went off in the Daycare. Sun hates that!" said Roxy. "Quick, find the generators in the play area and get the power back on before Moon gets you!"

Gregory stayed close to the wall, hearing the sound of metal banging against each other. Moon sounded angry and bloodthirsty, almost like he was ripping the playpen apart. Then suddenly, Gregory bumped into something purple; a generator! It stayed at the side of the play structure, easy for Gregory to see. He quickly flipped on the switch, the light immediately turning green; his FazWatch beeped, indicating he had 4 more to go. He heard Moon not too far behind him, "Knock, knock..." followed by spine-chilling giggling. The child bolted towards the ramp that rested not too far from the generator, going up into the play structure.

When Gregory reached the top, he felt the playground shake as Moon landed on top of the area not too far from Gregory. The young boy turned his flashlight off. He saw the red, beaming eyes scanning the area around him. Gregory covered his mouth and crawled away from Moon, hearing the gigantic robot leap towards somewhere else, hearing things fall and break.

Gregory rounded a corner and ended up in a cage-like area, where he saw a blue tube. He knew Moon couldn't get him in there, so without a second thought, he climbed in. He stopped in the middle, however, when night-like shoes jumped in front of the tube. Gregory held his breath, not taking his eyes off the shoes before they jumped away again. Gregory climbed out of the tube, seeing another one on the left. He entered that one and ended up in a green area, where the next generator was. Gregory quickly crawled over and flipped on the switch. The green light flashed and the power of the purple generator roared. He had to move quickly. The generator's alerted Moon of his location.

"Hidey hide. Hide away."

Suddenly, Gregory heard something behind him, not too far away. In a panic, he took a sharp left from the generator, exiting the play structure. When he stepped out, he felt his foot hit something. He turned his flashlight on and saw it was a power cable. Gregory practically ran as he followed the wire, his heart pounding as he saw a pair of red glowing eyes from the corner of his brown ones.

The wire stopped at a blue slide, but Gregory's gut told him to not go up. Instead, Gregory took a right and saw the red light ahead. Running beside the generator, he quickly flipped the switch. So far so good, now all he needed was two-

That's when a hand barely missed him from above. Gregory gasped and fell back, dropping his flashlight. There he was; Moon was hanging onto the wall, head crooking to the side as an evil smile seemed to spread wider. Gregory grabbed his flashlight and scrambled to get up. He felt the tips of Moon's fingers nearly grab him as Gregory finally got himself collected on his feet.

Suddenly he got an idea. He ran towards a pile of cushions and kicked them; if Sun and Moon were the same animatronic, their programming had to be similar. And to his relief, it worked! He heard Moon somewhere behind him, "Rrrgh... clean up, clean up!"