Roxy & Gregory (pt.9)

Chapter 9: Lunar Showdown

Gregory and Roxanne continued on their journey through the dark hallways below the Mega Mall. The mechanical wolf's ears were perked up, listening for possible threats. She has to admit, she never quite understood how extensive the pizzeria was. It felt like an endless maze with hidden rooms and secrets everywhere; in a dark, twisted manner, Roxy did not even know her own home. In her search for Gregory, she found areas that were not on her internal maps.

Roxy learned about scrapped concepts that the company almost implemented but changed their minds at the last second. Like the earlier restaurants, Foxy was meant to be here. He had his own attraction and everything, themed after pirates and adventure. However, the iconic fox pirate from the old days was dropped; instead, Roxanne came along. She was not sure how to feel about that. The feeling was new and difficult to understand even with her advanced AI. At the same time, she was glad she exists. After all, it meant she could have her adoring fans, her loving family. She would have never met Gregory if they had not decided to drop Foxy. However, in a morbid way, Foxy died so she could take her place. They cast him aside to avoid lawsuits.

Another concept was that the Glamrocks could be rented out for parties and other celebrations. This one made her sad. The thought of being able to go out of the pizzeria and see the world was bittersweet. Roxanne's programming confined her to the building. If she ever left, her systems would shut down within the hour. But once again, to avoid legal trouble, they threw the idea aside. It would be too costly to constantly repair them if they were damaged during a party; furthermore, the idea was a reminder of the Circus Baby place. The one where those men were found hanging from the stages... Where a man had his insides ripped out, leaving a fleshy husk behind.

Roxy squeezed her eyes shut. Some part of her was ashamed she was part of a company with such a gruesome reputation. This is why she strives to be the best. To put her fans at ease that she would never hurt them, that even though she was animatronic, she had a soul. An artificial soul, but still one after all. She hoped that after this mess of a night, there would still be a place to call home and perform.

"Roxy?"

The wolf animatronic paused. She almost forgot Gregory is hiding in her hair, hanging onto her shoulders. Roxanne tapped his tiny hand, "I'm okay, Greg. Just thinking," she said.

Gregory seemed unconvinced. "Thinking about what?"

"Just contemplating about the future. After this night, I could go for some sleep."

Gregory's eyes glimmered. "Hey, hey! If I start living with you, where am I gonna stay?" he asked excitedly.

Roxanne tapped her chin, "I guess my room. It's really the only livable area you can hide in; you know a lot of hiding places now and I can sneak out food for you," she replied.

The answer seemed to please Greg. She turned right at a T-section and continued going down the corridor; Jesus, where's the staircase? She felt like she's been down in the Utility Tunnels for hours. But it's not 3:24 AM. Roxanne needs to hurry. They had to fix her up before stopping her friends. As gruesome as it was, she already knew what to do to... decommission them. Roxy tried not to use that word. She was only moving them out of the way where they cannot hurt themselves or Gregory. Additionally, that rabbit weirdo cannot use them against them.

Squeak. Creak.

Roxanne froze. Her metal lips pulled back into a snarl, her amber-colored eyes blazed with aggression. A malicious chuckle broke through the silence. The wolf turned around, only to be met by glowing red eyes. Gregory gasped, "Moon..."