ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟝

By the time dinner came around, the exhaustion has caught up with me and the full ache in my back. I grab my tray, sitting by myself under a tree in the courtyard. The last time I ate inside with the others my food ended up on me. I eat quickly and then rush off to the bathing house, so I can have a quick wash before bed.

I wish to see Evelyn but I mentally can't do it tonight. On the way back to the maid's sleeping quarters, I pass the one guard that I've been in love with since I got here. Troy. He'll never notice me, at least not in a good way. Only as the outsider. The one with dark skin. He gives me the same polite nod and smile he gives everyone else and continues on to wherever he's going as I stare at him longingly. "You do know you have no chance with him?" The shrill voice of Mariah, snaps me out of my daze.

"What do you want Mariah?" I sigh heavily, turning around to face the blonde hair, green eyed woman. She stares at me with a condescending smirk and an evil glint in her eye.

"The King wants you. Maybe he's finally sending your dirty ass to the dungeons." She sneers and walks away from me, purposely bumping my shoulder. I take a deep breath, trying to reign in the anger and tears that's begging to be released as I head towards the castle.

I give a light knock on his room door and wait for entrance. "Come in." I enter, plastering on the smile I taught myself years ago.

"You needed to see me, your highness?" My voice trembles slightly and I clear my throat. I hate when this happens.

"What's the matter, Ciara?" He asks, and I can see concern flash in his dark brown almost black eyes.

"Silly maid things. Nothing to worry about." I force a laugh and he steps closer to me, hesitantly putting a hand on my shoulder.

"You can tell me. I would like it if we could be, uh, friends." He says softly and I break. I cry for the first time in four years. Heavy, body shaking sobs, that refuses to stop.

"Why do they hate me so much? Is the color of my skin that bad?" I ask no one in particular and sink to the floor, not caring about trying to stay composed anymore.

"No Ciara, they're jealous. You have a beauty, a uniqueness that they could only dream of." His Highness says, and wipes away my tears.

"Really?" I ask sceptically and he nods. I give him a half smile, leaning into his hand. "Thank you, your highness."

"Please call me Nolan, at least when it's just the two of us." He tells me and my smile becomes wider.

"Nolan." I murmur and he rewards me with a breathtaking smile.