ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟚

She's looking at me questioningly and I take a deep breath, mentally preparing myself for the rejection. "I'm in love with you." I tell her and it's barely above a whisper, but I know she heard me from the last gasp she let out.

"W-what?" She stutters, sitting back in her chair and a grimace spreads over my face.

"I'm in love with you, Ciara. I've been in love with you since the day we met. I'm not forcing you to say it back or anything, but I can't hide my feelings anymore." I tell her, searching her eyes for some type of answer, but she looks away from my gaze.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She asks, her voice more firm and sure of herself.

"I was scared and by the time I realized it myself, your heart belonged to another. A selfish part of me wanted to take you away from him and make you mine, but another part of me just wanted you to be happy even if it wasn't with me." I tell her meaning every single word I said and she looks at me in honest disbelief.

"I don't know what to say." She mumbles, and my heart cracks at her statement, but I put on a smile.

"That's alright, as I've said before you don't have to say anything." I keep my tears at bay and walk back over to behind my desk.

-/-/-/-

We sit in a tense silence for awhile and I'm mentally scolding myself for doing this, for hurting the little relationship I have with Ciara. I want to be in her life even if it isn't as her husband. "Honestly Ciara, I'm okay." I call out to her and she continues to wash me down. I keep telling her that she doesn't have to wash me, but she insists on doing it.

"I don't mind bathing you, Nolan." She whispers and I sigh quietly to myself.

"Ciara, I'm sorry for springing this on you. I understand if you don't want to be around me and I don't want you to stay if it's only out of obligation. I do want to continue to be friends and I can hold off my feelings for you, but I understand if you're uncomfortable being around me now." I explain to her, even as my heart breaks at my semi-false words.

"Would you shut up, Nolan?"