my-log: skate

"YOU'VE GOT THIS!" Sunghoon cheers at me from the center of the rink, while I'm gripping the gate with shaking legs before I even step onto the ice

"YOU'VE GOT THIS!" Sunghoon cheers at me from the center of the rink, while I'm gripping the gate with shaking legs before I even step onto the ice. I knew blades of ice skates were thin, but not to the point where I feel like I'm incapable of walking.

"I'm a makeup artist. Not a skater. If you asked me to take you here so you could watch me fail miserably, then you're a horrible person."

He laughs, gliding to me. "I figured taking you out would help you loosen up to the new environment! I mean no harm." He grins, kicking up ice at my ankles as he comes to a halt. "Plus I wanted to see you skate, remember!? Geun said in his letter that you used to have a passion for it like I did!"

"Yeah, I was 8!! And I said I wasn't good!" I feel myself blush in embarrassment that he even remembered that.

He holds out his hands, palms up. "...Come on. I wont let you fall."

His voice is husky and full of charm, that my body (for some reason) immediately does as he tells me. No way I'm about to risk my life because an okay-looking dude told me to...Okay, a more-than-okay-looking dude.

I let my hands fall into his and he guides me carefully onto the ice. I nearly slip, but he catches my elbows and I hold on tightly to his triceps. I can't even look up, as my eyes are glued to my feet.

"See?? Not too bad...I'm going to move us a little, okay?" He whispers. I can tell he's looking down at me because of how close his voice sounds, yet I feel safer knowing he's got his attention on me.

He starts to glide backwards, which pulls me forward. After about 5 minutes of this, I feel a bit more comfortable to the point where I'm not cutting off the blood circulation in his arms, and I can look up at him without losing balance.

"...This isn't bad, see?" He smiles.

"...Yeah...How long have you've been figure skating for? Did it take you this long to get the hang of standing on the ice?" I joke about my own shortcomings, which make him giggle.

"For 10 years, since I was 9."

"Wow..." I'll copy Jake's conversation tactics—I'll ask more questions to keep us talking. "Why did you become an idol if you liked to skate?"

"Mmmmm...I found a passion for singing and dancing I guess." He mocks what I had said earlier, which makes my face hot.

I look away and roll my eyes. "Oh, okay."

"But it isn't like I stopped loving figure skating." He continues. "...Every time I step back in the rink, it's like reuniting with a long lost best friend..."

I see his eyes literally twinkle.

"...Do you have another passion besides makeup, y/n?" He asks quietly. I feel his hands move from my elbows and down to my waist, as he holds me gently to help me maintain balance. I find myself fall into his chest, relaxing as he moves us slowly along the sparkling ice. The cold makes my cheeks sting and my eyes water, yet somehow...I feel warm in his arms...

"...No...I don't have time for another hobby."

"...Taking care of your brother takes up a lot of your time?"

"Yeah..."

"Why can't your parents help take care of him? Ahhh, they're probably busy with work, huh? Is that what it is?"

I remain silent.

He immediately notices this, and forces us to stop.
"...Oh...Are they...?"

"...Oh, no. They...They aren't dead. I can assure you that." There's resentment in my voice, that much is obvious.

"...I see..." His voice is saying "Sorry to bring it up". So he changes the subject. "Hopefully Geun gets better soon, so we can bring him here."

"You talk about him like he's our son." It makes me chuckle.

He scoffs with a smirk. Again, I can feel him looking down at the top of my head. "...You seem very kind, underneath."

"Underneath?"

"You come off a bit stand off-ish, if I'm being honest." He laughs.

"Do I?..." No wonder I used to be called boring or bitchy at school.

"I'm glad I'm getting to talk to you like this though...I'm happy this job was offered to a girl like you. You clearly put yourself before others..."

I feel my heart tighten...Am I being...complimented?...Are my efforts being noticed?...

I look up to him, and he's looking back at me with large pupils. They bounce between my eyes as he stares kindly at me, making my heart thump. "I'm...Im not all that sweet. Really...I'm just doing...the bare minimum..." I whisper modestly.

That's when I suddenly remember Julie's words.

"No matter. Just be careful. Since you aren't married, they'll be monitoring you a bit more closely. If any of the boys find interest in you and show it, it won't end well."

I quickly push myself off Sunghoon in a panic. "M-My feet hurt!!"

"Oh, y-"

"I'll just wait in the car. You can come meet me there whenever you're finished skating."

"Oh, okay...Are you feeling alright??" He calls to me as I carefully glide to the gate, stepping on the hard ground and taking off my skates.

"I'm fine. Just cold. I'm going to go warm up in the car. Continue skating, and don't rush yourself." I blurt, speaking rapidly. I put on my coat and speed out of the rink, dashing to the car.

I must've left him confused, but luckily it wasn't very awkward when he met me back in the car. He ended up asking me to taking him back to his home, where he stayed with the other boys.

Little did I know, I had a long and eventful night ahead of me.