my-log: candidates

I'M SITTING ON A CHAIR, nearly hyperventilating myself to death

I'M SITTING ON A CHAIR, nearly hyperventilating myself to death. Seong is fanning me, and everyone is surrounding me. God, what an amazing way to begin my first full day as an adult...

"Married!? They want you married!? You just turned 18!!" Mi-Young pouts angrily, pacing around the room.

"Yeah, that is a bit messed up." Lea murmurs.

"What did Sejin say? When are you getting married??" Jake asks me.

"I don't know when the wedding is, but he said that the staff will bring in a number of guys for me to choose from...Since all of the staff are required to get married, I have no choice...Its ridiculous..." I mumble, running my fingers through my hair frustratedly.

"You mean you don't want to get married??" Jungwon tilts his head to the side.

"Of course I do, but not right now. I don't want to be forced into something with a man I barely know. I want to meet someone on my own, not have them come here as a candidate!" I groan, sliding down my chair. "I don't want to get married right now...I'm happy by myself..."

Everyone glances at each other in pity. Julie bends down in front of me, holding my shoulders. "I'm really sorry y/n...But maybe you'll fall in love with one of the guys they bring!! I did!"

I perk up. "You got married to one of the guys they picked out for you???"

"Yeah, when I turned 18. And now we've been together for 3 years!"

"Julie, you and I are nothing alike...Respectfully." I sigh.

"They can't force her to be with a guy if she doesn't want to, right?" Sunghoon questions. "I mean, it hasn't been an issue that she's single this entire time."

"Yeah, may as well let her stay single." Heeseung jumps in.

"It's not fair for her to get married so young." Sunoo shakes his head, and Niki and Jake agree.

"Or at least let her marry a girl." Jay suggests.

"Ooo! Yeah! That sounds like a way better idea!" Jungwon agrees.

My brows knit. They're fighting really hard to let me not get married. I mean, I am too, but I'm more so complaining than actually trying to come up with a solution.

The girls also stare at them. "...Right..." Nari whispers, then quickly faces me again. "But y/n, you realize if you refuse to get married, then you'll most likely have to...—"

"Quit? Yeah...I know...That's the last thing I want to do...UGH." I suddenly yell, making everyone jump. "What am I gonna do???"

"Why not, for now...You meet the men Sejin has lined up for you??—" Seong suggests, but I quickly deny.

"But—"

"Hear me out. It's not like you have to love the dude you marry. It's simply a requirement to keep this job."

"You want me to bind myself into a loveless marriage??"

"If you have to. Plus, you might end up liking the guy."

I frown. "...I guess..."

~

The next day, I'm having a meeting with Sejin and each man he brought for me to marry. Well, first he brings in the candidate, then allows me to talk to them privately for about 5 minutes. He must've already had someone do background checks on them to see if they qualified to be my husband.

I go through about 5 men. They were all kind, a couple attractive, but all in all, I just wasn't interested.

Sejin brings in another man. He's wearing jeans, a black shirt, and a black blazer. He has on a white mask and black glasses, and his brown hair is gelled back. His skin is tan, and his eyes have a naturally seductive look to them.

He sits across from me at the table as we exchange greetings. "How are you?" I ask.

He clears his throat before responding with, "Good, and you?" in a deep voice. I'm not sure why, but it almost sounded...forced?

"I'm good...So, how old are you?"

"I'm 19."

"I see. I'm 18. Where are you from?"

"Oh well, I'm actually from the States, but I moved here in middle school."

My eyes light up. "Oh wow, the States? I've always wanted to visit there."

"Maybe if this works out," He sets his elbow on the table and puts his chin in his palm, leaning forward. He doesn't break eye contact, and he whispers, "we can go together."

I, somehow, get butterflies in my stomach. He's immediately different from the other men. The others seemed so uptight and rehearsed, but this one is a bit more laid back.

"You're quite beautiful, you know. I don't think I've seen someone as pretty as you." He compliments me, and I feel my face get hot.

"W-Well, thank you..." I'd compliment him back, but he won't take off his mask...

"I sense that you haven't had much experience with love before?" He asks. That's probably the deepest question I got asked this entire day.

"...No I haven't..."

I see his eyes smile—no, they smirk— and he slips one of his hands underneath mine, which was sitting in the table. "I wouldn't mind showing you a whole new side of love...What it can do to a person."

My entire body feels weak.

How is he doing this? Why do I feel so swooned by what he's saying??? It feels so unnatural!—Just like his hand. His hand is so unbelievably soft. His fingers are slender and cold to the touch, but his skin feels so smooth that when he holds my hand, I don't even mind how icy cold it feels.

"I-...Okay..."

I want to marry him. Well, I wouldn't mind it.

I must've said this with my face, because he stands up while holding my hand. "Shall we start a new life together?"

I pause. He's asking me to marry him???...

"...Yes...Why not—"

"Perfect. No one else is meant for you but me." He suddenly rips off his mask, and my mouth drops to the floor.

"J...

JAY!??!"