Eleven

It's been months since you came home from Paris. Bucky hasn't talked to you and you haven't talked to him. In fact, he tries to avoid you all the time. If he's assigned a mission with you, he begs Tony to switch him with someone else, or he'll fake being sick.

You would be mad, but it's easier being away from him. It clears your head and you can focus on your relationship with Steve. In fact, you went all day yesterday without thinking about him.

That ended when Natasha told you jaw dropping new. "Steve wants to propose to you!" She says excitedly.

For some reason, the first thing you thought about was Bucky. Which you took as a major red flag not to say yes to Steve.

"What?" You ask.

"I know! Aren't you excited? I know I am," Nat says.

"We've only been dating for a couple months," you say.

"Six to be exact. That's half a year," Nat says.

"This feels to sudden," you say and sit down on your bed.

"You love Steve, and he loves you. It may feel sudden, but does it feel right?" Nat asks. You look at her and shrug. "I guess," you say.

"I guess isn't good enough. It's either yes or no," Nat says.

"I'll figure it out Nat," you say, "I have to get ready for my date with Steve right now."

"Okay, I'll leave you alone," Nat says.

You get ready and Steve meets you in the common room. He takes your hand in his as you walk around a park. A coffee in your free hand. Steve takes a sip of his before complaining that it's too hot.

"See Stevie, that's why I get iced," you tease. Steve chuckles. "I'll take your word for it next time," he says.

The moon hangs high in the sky as the two of you sit on a bench. Your tucked into Steve's side, his arm is draped around your shoulders.

"I love you," Steve says. You look at him with a smile. "I love you too," you say confidently. Convincing yourself that it's true.

"I wanna show you something," he says as he takes your hand in his and leads you somewhere.

You end up near a lake, where no one else it. Just the two of you and the moon. "I found this spot the other day with Sam and Bucky while we were on a run," he says.

"It's beautiful," you say as you stare at the lake in awe. "Just like you," Steve says.

"You cheesy bastard," you say with hot cheeks. Then, he gets down on one knee. 

Ah shit. Ah shit. Ah shit. Ah shit.

"Y/n, I know this may seem sudden, but I love you and when I look in the future, I see you there with me," Steve says.

"Oh my god," you say, and not in a good way.

"Please do me the honor of making me the happiest man alive and marrying me," Steve says.

"Yes," you say without fully comprehending what's happening. Steve smiles widely as he stands up and kisses you. He slides the finger on your ring finger.

"I can't wait to tell everyone," Steve says. You smile, but one thought remains in your brain.

Bucky.

☽☽☽☽☽☽

You get back to the compound and Steve asks Friday to tell everyone to come in the main living room.

Slowly, everyone filters in and Steve smiles widely. "We haves some news to tell everyone," Steve says.

"Wait Bucky's not here yet," Sam says.

"Oh, well let's wait for him," Steve says.

Bucky walks into the room and stands next to Sam and Wanda. "Great now that everyone's here, y/n and I have some news," Steve says.

"You're not pregnant, are you?" Tony asks.

Bucky's face goes white, and Wanda looks at him with a confused look. You shake your head. "No I'm not pregnant."

Wanda keeps her gaze on Bucky, but when he looks at her, she switches it back to you and Steve. "So what is it?" Nat asks impatiently, even though she already knows what it is.

"We're engaged," Steve says and you hold you hand up. Nat let's out a squeal of delight as she hugs you. Sam chuckles and hugs Steve. Tony congratulates you both and hugs you.

Wanda hugs you and travels with you away from Steve. "You know that Bucky's in love with you right?" She asks quietly. You nod. "Yea I know," you say.

"You love him too."

"I know."

"Then why are you marrying Steve?" She asks.

"I don't know," you say with a small sob.

You look over at everyone, before making eye contact with Bucky. He's smiling, but you can tell by the look in his eyes that it's fake. A tear slides down your face before Wanda takes you into her embrace again. "It's okay," she whispers.

"No it's not," you say.

Bucky frowns and starts walking over to you, but Sam stops him. "Go upstairs," he says. Bucky looks at him confused. "What?"

"It's only a matter of time until you break something," Sam says. Bucky rolls his eyes. "I'm not mad Sam. Not right now. I'm more concerned about y/n and why she's crying," Bucky says.

Sam looks over to you and Wanda. Nat walks over and joins the group hug. Sam watches as Wanda and Nat exchange worried glances.

"She's probably just happy about being engaged," Sam says.

"No it's not that. It's something else," Bucky says.

Steve walks over to you and Wanda's hesitant about letting him hug you, but let's him. "Y/n, sweetheart, what's wrong?" Steve asks.

"I'm just so happy we're getting married," you lie. Most of the avengers bought the lie, including Sam, Steve, Thor, Peter, and Clint, but the rest didn't. Steve smiles widely and kisses you.

Bucky feels tears in his eyes and walks away before anyone can notice. But your noticed. You watched him walk away and felt your heart break more.