new year, strange beginning

"You're still the quiet type, huh?" Colt asks as you as you pass him the other end of the New Year's banner.
"Yeah. I don't really like being around of a lot of people at a time like this." you respond. Everyone's helping Historia decorate her castle today. Since she was unable to throw the Christmas party, she wants to go all out for her New Year's party.

"You were always pretty introverted in high school. I'm surprised being a part of the scouts hasn't gotten you out of your comfort zone." Colt says.
"It has, a bit. I can take a couple people at a time... but with so many all at once... it's a bit nerve racking."
"Do you still have that finger picking problem?"
"Yeah. Remember when you made fun of me for it?" you ask. Colt sighs.
"Yeah. I was really stupid in high school. To be fair, I was raising my little brother all by myself, I had no one else."

"Ohhh, yeah. Falco, right?" you ask, grabbing a tack out of your pocket. Colt nods.
"That's him. You're an only child, right?"
"Yeah." you reply.
"You know, I don't think I ever actually met your parents while we were together." Colt says.
"That's cuz my real dad died when I was young and I hated both my mom and Willy." Colt tips a bit on the ladder he's on as you pin the banner to the wall.
"Willy?" he repeats.
"Willy Tybur?"

"I have no clue what he last name is, I never cared to ask. Why?" you ask, turning your head to him. Colt's face is slightly pale.
"Nothing. I just thought I recognized the name. Is he... still in Paradis?"
"Don't know." you say, shrugging as Colt takes a tack out of his pocket and nails it into the wall.
"I stopped talking to him after my mom died."
"Your mom's dead?"
"Yeah. Died on vacation, apparently her hotel caught on fire."
"What do you mean apparently?"
"I never got to see her body. I'm just repeating what Willy told me." you reply.

"OI! CONNIE! OFF THE FUCKING CHANDELIER, IT'S GOING TO BREAK!" you hear Levi shout. You climb off of your ladder, Colt climbing off his.
"IIIIIIIIIIIIII'MMMMMM GONNA SWIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG FROM THE CHANDELIIIIIIERRRRRR!" Connie yells.
"YOU'RE GONNA BREAK YOUR NECK, BALD HEADED ASS BITCH!" Sasha yells. You walk over to where Sasha and Levi are standing. Somehow, in some way, Connie had gotten himself up on Historia's chandelier.
"I'm going to get a ladder, and you're going to come down." Levi demands.
"I'M HOLDIN ON FOR DEAR LIIIIIIIFE!" Connie loudly sings. You and Sasha can't help but laugh.
"What an idiot." Sasha quietly giggles, rolling her eyes. You watch Levi as he starts walking away.
"Captain! Um... let me help you!" you call out.

You jog over to Levi, quickly catching up to him.
"I don't exactly need help carrying a ladder, y/n." Levi says as he makes his way over to a tall ladder.
"I know. i wanted to apologize." you whisper.
"What for?"
"For being such a bitch to you about the whole Eren thing. I know about the texts now, and I-" Levi grabs your wrist, pulling you close.
"You know?" he whispers.
"Yeah." you reply.
"The fuck... did Eren tell you?"
"No, I read the messages."
"Who else have you told?"
"Mikasa, that's all." you reply.
"Don't tell anyone else about that. I don't know who it is, but whoever it has some type of grudge against you... or maybe a grudge against Eren. Either way, don't repeat the fact that you know, you have to protect yourself somehow." Levi says.
"I know. I will, Captain."

"DOWN!" Levi yells for the fifth time.
"But I'm having sooooo much fun, Captain!" Connie laughs.
"Don't make me go up there and get you myself." Levi hisses.
"NO DON'T! I'M COMING!" Connie shouts. He finally gets off the chandelier, slowly climbing down the ladder.
"Why don't you all take a break? You've worked so hard. Go out for an hour or two!" Historia exclaims.

"Thank god! I'm starving!" Sasha groans.
"You're always hungry, Sash." Marco says, shaking his head.
"So what? Why don't we all go down to Trost Diner? Get some fuel before we continue working."
"Sounds good to me. I'm pretty hungry too." Annie says.
"I'll come too. Let me find Eren to see if he'll join us." you say.
"If you find Reiner, drag him along." Annie says.
"That is, if he didn't find some way to get some alcohol into his system by now."