Chapter 3- Familiar Strangers

2 hours later

I was all over this hospital, I watched every minute of Raul's surgery as well as I held Sarah's hand through the birthing process. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl with the signature features of the Romanos. The grey eyes and black hair but she was absolutely gorgeous. Kai and Le came to check on me, they brought food and a few things from my home to make me more comfortable in the hospital. I just didn't have an appetite right now. Leana left after an hour and she spent most of the time holding Sarah's baby for Sarah,who was now heavily sedated. She lost a lot of blood but the doctor was sure she and the baby would be fine.

Raul's situation on the other hand was severe. His chances of survival were little to non-existent and even if he did survive he'd be paralyzed in his left leg.

I stood staring at Raul on the hospital bed with tears in my eyes. He looked so pale and fragile with all those strings and breathing equipment attached to his body. Kai rotated my body so I could face him and then pulled me into a warm embrace. My nose was too stuffy for me to identify the expensive perfume Kai was wearing right now. He kissed my forehead.

"Ow !"

What is it, Elle ?" Kai wondered.

"Nothing, just some sharp pains in my lower abdomen, I just need to use the bathroom" I mumbled.

"I was just leaving baby, but please stop worrying about him, he'll be fine. Call me if you need anything" he said, hugging me and kissing my forehead once more. I grabbed the bag Le took for me and searched it for pads. My bestie put everything essential in this bag.

I found a sealed pack of pads and decided to use the bathroom in Raul's hospital room to shower. I turned the tv on so my anxiety wouldn't choke me to death in the bathroom. Peppa Pig, great. I walked to the bathroom, closed the door behind me, removed my clothes and took a warm shower. I quickly dried myself and put on underwear and a grey sweater and sweatpants.I neatly packed my bag and sat in the chair beside the hospital bed.

I noticed Raul's eyes were struggling to stay closed, almost as if he was squeezing the shit out of them. I laughed.

"I thought you died and went back to hell," I said. He opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling.

He removed the oxygen mask. "Is he your boyfriend ?" he said, not sparing me a glance.

"You know I thought your first question would be Where am I? How's Sarah? Is my family okay but here you are worried about Kai? No Mr R he's not my boyfriend. Any more questions ?" I ranted.

" How'd you know of the attack ?" he questioned, struggling to sit up. I helped him up while adjusting the hospital bed and fixing the pillows behind him.

"I was outside telling my overprotective parents to leave when I noticed your men weren't at the door the next thing I know is I'm eavesdropping on a conversation between two men in ski masks and then I heard the name Diaz mentioned and this is where I stop talking because you're going to want to go get revenge and you are not in a position for not even a gush of wind right now" I explained.

"You don't tell me what to do," he spat.

"Do what you want then," I said and walked out of the hospital room. I went to get him something to eat. I went to the hospital's cafeteria.

"Hi, Miss Mavis, how yuh do ?" I greeted.

"Mi deh yah enuh Lily" she responded. My mother told me this has always been her nickname for me since the day I was born.

"I have a special surprise for you an di white boy, hopefully, him nyam pig's tail" she teased. Word travels fast around this hospital. She handed me two bowls of her famous red peas soup on a beautiful white platter patterned with blue flowers.