VI

"His pulse is 380" Clarke tells Athena when she's back.

People screamed as soon as Jasper moaned. He had been like this for a while now and people were starting to get frustrated.

"Clarke, can you go get water, please?" Athena asked her with a pleading face.

"Sure I'll be right back" She said before leaving.

"It's gonna be okay, you'll make it. Don't listen to them" She put her hands on his cheeks and gently kissed his forehead. With that, she slept, barely but slept regardless.

The next morning was hard. Jasper screamed like there was no tomorrow and people got way more annoyed than before.

Athena inspected the wound. "Eve I need warm water"

"Right away"

"The grounders cauterized the wound. Saved his life." Muttered Clarke confused.

"Saved his life so they could string him up for live bait. The garden of Eden this ain't" Finn said to her.

"Any progress on using the wristbands to contact the Ark? Monty?" Clarke said hoping good news.

"That would be a firm no."

"How's he doing?" Wells entered.

"How does it look like he's doing-?"

"Hold him down, couldn't cleaned it properly so I'll have to just cut it." Finn, Wells and Clarke held him as Athena grabbed a knife.

"Cut what, A?" Monty said looking at his friend.

"The infected flesh"

She put it on the fire waiting for it to be hot enough. "Ready?" She started cutting and screams came running out of Jaspers's mouth.

"Please hold him still" The boys tried to fighting Jaspers legs until he fainted.

Athena checked his pulse as Octavia came shouting at her. "Stop it! You're killing him."

"She's trying to save his life." Bellamy entered too.

"She can't." He said coldly.

"Back off." Wells stood up

"We didn't drag him through miles of woods just to let him die." Clarke stood up too.

"Kid's a goner. If you can't see that, you're deluded. He's making people crazy." He expressed to Clarke.

"Sorry if Jasper's an inconvenience to you, but this isn't the Ark. Down here, every life matters." Athena snapped.

"Take a look at him. He's a lost cause." He said after some silence.

"Octavia, Thena's the youngest medical apprentice in the Ark and I've seen her work. If I say there's hope, there's hope."

"This isn't about hope, it's about guts. You don't have the guts to make the hard choices. I do. He's been like this for three days. If he's not better by tomorrow, I'll kill him myself. Octavia, let's go." He left. 'Over my dead body'

"I'm staying here."

"Power-hungry, self-serving jackass. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. No offense." Monty looked at Octavia.

"Yeah, Bellamy is all that, but he also happens to be right."

><><><><><

"Clarke please find out what is this" Athena handed Clarke the poultice the grounders used on Jasper. "I'll take a break, call me if anything happens" Monty nodded and she left.

Athena wandered near the camp and got water for her dehydrated self.

Fortunately, Jasper made it through the day. Monty and Athena by his side. What would she do without them? They were way too important. Jasper being on the verge of death wasn't helping her usual anxiety and Monty not being able to communicate with the Ark was setting the place in a bad mood.

Athena's resting stage was interrupted by loads of delinquents entering the dropship screaming, Eve among them.

"Eve are you okay?" Athena worried sick about her friend and took her hand while sitting her on the floor.

"The air got thick and yellow, it started burning" the girl whimpered.

Athena poured water softly on Eve's skin making her flinch in pain. She started treating everyone there with what she could and soon enough everyone was at least a bit better than before.

Jasper moaned loudly not letting anyone sleep. Athena lay in front of him drinking water when Monty climbed up.

"Murphy's gonna kill Jasper" He closed the trapdoor while Athena and Octavia struggled to get a metal pole to close it.

"Got it!" They rushed and quickly put it so Monty could move.

The screams of Murphy were almost as loud as Jasper's.