Chapter 3

Finally updated! It isn't much of an interesting chapter, I just wanted to fill in a few voids before I really got the story going.  As a picture, I put what Adara more or less looks like. Keep in mind, the merpeople have their own sort of crazy fashion, I just don't elaborate much on it, and as song I put Keep Holding On, by Avril Lavigne. Hope you all enjoy!

Chapter 3

Ridge

He was taking a nap in his old room back at the house that was once owned by his father; when he suddenly heard the front door burst open, taking Ridge out of his sleep. At first he thought that he might be hallucinating because he was so dead tired, but when he heard the thump of footsteps on the floor below, he knew that something was wrong. He was convinced that it couldn’t be his sister, because Tara wouldn’t be so terribly noisy; and Ridge was certain that there was more than one person downstairs.

He quickly got up, and grabbed one of his shirts that was lying on the floor, and hurried to grab his baseball bat, that for some reason was still in his closet. When he was nine he had been known for being quite the hitter; he never missed. Very quickly, he got out of his room and went to the edge of the staircase to see what was going on downstairs. The people who had broken in were whispering to each other in a language he could not understand. No wait, he could make out small words.

“House…queen…brother.” Oh damn, Ridge thought trying to think clearly of a way to get himself out of his mess.

He suddenly remembered a conversation he’d had with Tara a few weeks ago when she was hiding from her responsibilities in her kingdom.

“Ridge I think we need to talk.” Tara said to him, as she went through the kitchen cupboards for something to eat.

“You probably forgot about this, but you already told me you’re pregnant.” Ridge answered lighting a cigarette at the table.

A the sound of the lighter, Tara then looked at him, envying the cigarette; probably wishing for the billionth time that she hadn’t gotten pregnant.

She cleared her throat. “Have I ever told you about the merpeople of The Deep?” She asked him, now opening the fridge.

“Vaguely” Ridge answered exhaling, and leaning back on his chair. “You told me they were like vampires that lived in the depth of the water.”

Tara then gave up on finding something to eat and went to sit down with him. She sighed. “Look, I know what I said might seem funny, but it’s serious Ridge.” She said to him, staring into his eyes. “I’ve seen what they can do; I got bitten and it hurts like hell. And now that they have Taiven and I don’t know what I am doing, the Upper Kingdom is at its weakest and they are getting stronger.” She then grabbed his hand, her blue eyes sparking. “If ever word comes out that I have a brother, they will try to get to you so that they can get to me. You’re the only thing I have left Ridge; don’t play around.”

Ridge stared down at his baseball bat, and thought of the irony; but he wasn’t going to drop it. His bat was his only weapon, and he was going to use it at the best of his ability.

“Upstairs.” The strange voices from below suddenly said.

 “You’re the only thing I have left Ridge; don’t play around.”

He considered her, she almost sounded like she was pleading; and Tara never begged. “I won’t.”

She eyed him “Promise?”

He squeezed her hand. “I promise.”

He hated his sister at the moment. Ridge quickly ran back to his room, as something came charging up the stairs. Once back in, he used his baseball bat to break through the window because he didn’t have the patience nor the time to simply open it, and without looking back, he jumped out. Miraculously, he landed on his feet; he praised himself for a few seconds, but quickly needed to start running because the front door suddenly burst open, and strange looking people emerged out of it and into the driveway. Ridge quickly took off, not exactly sure in which direction he was heading, he felt those of The Deep following, and now regretted having left his bat in his room.