Chapter 12

FINALY UPDATED! MUAHAHAHHAA!

Okay, I have a good chapter, and I'm really happy to get this story going. And guys, don't be surprised if this book is over thirty chapters long, because seriously, I have a feeling it's never going to end.

Okay, so as song choice, Who's to Say by Vanessa Carlton, and a picture of Tara swimming, clearly lonely...

Chapter 12

Tara

                I think I might break down and burst out crying any second now.  I have never felt so miserable and helpless in my entire life. I might possibly be the worse Queen in the history of the Upper Kingdom; or should I say, the worse Queen in the history of what’s left of the Upper Kingdom.

                I swam on spot, hovering over the castle, as I looked at the ruins of my kingdom. There truly was nothing left of it, even all of the fish had swum away. It was a miracle that the castle was still even up. Slowly turning my head, I saw Danicio hurrying to swim my way, probably coming to give me even more bad news.

                “Majesty” He said once he reached me, completely out of breath and obviously tired. “We found no survivors.”

                I wasted no time in answering. “Well look again!” I snapped, shouting at the guard, making the ocean agitate a little bit. “And this time, you better come back good news and with someone!” The anger that I was feeling right now was the best way to block out the sadness and grief that was slowly making a giant hole in my stomach that would remain there probably for the rest of my life.

                Without any more need of convincing, Danicio nodded, but he didn’t leave right away.

                “Majesty, everything will be alright.” Danicio tried to reassure me, putting a hand on my shoulder. But I quickly, wiggled out of his touch, not at all interested for someone to comfort me right now. “Tara…” Damn, he so wasn’t helping.

                He tried to touch me again, but I swam away. “Go away Danicio!” I snapped, feeling tears in my eyes. I then looked in direction, and saw that he hadn’t moved. “That’s an order!”

He didn’t waste a second more with me. He quickly swam back down to go and meet with the remaining guards.

                                Deep down, I was convinced that those of the Deep hadn’t killed everyone, otherwise a lot more carcasses would have been found floating in the water. It was obvious that a lot of merpeople had been murdered, but not the entire population. They’ve been captured, a small voice whispered in the back of my mind.

Anger suddenly filled me even more, making stronger waves throughout the water. More furious than ever, I swam back down and went into the castle, where I found Taiven Senior arguing with two guards and Danicio.

                “What is it now?” I said coldly, as I approached everyone, even Breena was there. Immediately, the discussion stopped, and all eyes were on me. I was starting to have a strange sense of déjà-vu.  I looked at Taiven Senior. “What it is you want to do or change now?” I snapped at the old man, for some reason getting even angrier by the second.

                The ex-king sighed. “Tarabelle, you are leading this kingdom to disaster.” Taiven Senior said very seriously. “Step-down from the throne and let Breena take your place; she will make a wonderful queen, much better than you will ever be.” That was probably one of the most hurtful things someone had ever said to me, and there was a lot to choose from.