Chapter 1

The cold rain fell onto my hood as I walked through the streets of New York. It was way past curfew and I needed to get home as soon as possible. 'Home'. That place was no more of a home than a prison. Cell like room. Beating for stepping out of line. God I hated it there.

I walked down my street to my house. Instead of going in through the front where I knew someone would be waiting for me, I walked around to the side of the house. There was a vent there that I could jump into and would lead me to my room.

I was taking no chances that she would see me. Ms L. I hated her with all my being. She was tall with almost white hair. She always had her glasses on her face and most of the time had some sort of alcohol in her hand.

I climbed up the vent and into my room. Before I went in I made sure that my phone and hearing aids were in my bag. Ms L knew I was deaf and had made sure that in the first few years of living with her I went to lip reading classes so I could understand her.

She didn't know however that I had hearing aids. It took a lot of time for me to save up to get them since they were expensive. Hell I could barely afford them after working for 7 months of minimum wage while going to school.

She would say that I was keeping things from her that could be used to help us both. Yea right. She just wants all that money so that she can feed into her alcohol addiction.

I slipped into my room. There wasn't much but it would do for now. A small twin mattress and a lamp. A small dresser for my clothes though I barely had any good ones. My entire life could fit into one small school bag and that's how I like it.

In said bag was the homework that I needed to finish for monday. I only had time to copy some of it down before the bell rang. So I texted my only friend Peter for the rest.

Sophia: hey Pete can u send me a pic of the hmk from today

???: uh who ru

Sophia: wdym its me sophia

???: I don't know a sophia, pete or peter I think you got the wrong number

Sophia: c'mon dude just cause you got a new phone does not mean you get to pull this shit. Send me a pic or I'll tell MJ your plan.

???: I don't know an mj or have a pic to send u

Sophia: Shit this really isn't pete sorry

???: Its fine

I put my phone back into my bag with my homework. I could ask peter for the homework on Monday before school starts or if I see him on patrol tomorrow.

----------------------------Time skip------------------------------

I woke up to somebody spraying cold water on my face. Instead of punching whoever it was I quickly got up knowing that it was just Ms L.

"Well well well. Someone was up past curfew last night and despite me standing at the door waiting for you, you somehow get into bed." She says

I just stayed silent not wanting her to punish me for backtalk.

"No bother. You'll get your punishment tonight. As of right now I have some friends coming over and I need you to finish your chores and leave. NOW." She says.

I nodded my head and quickly walked up the stairs. I did all my chores quickly but efficiently wanting to leave before her incredibly annoying friends came over.

I walked back to my room and put my backpack on. I go back out and walk out the door. Closing it behind me. Before I could leave she grabbed my arm and yanked me back to her. "Be back by ten" She said to me before letting go of my arm and walking back into the house.

When I had walked a good distance away from the house I took my hearing aids and my phone out of my bag. I put the hearing aids on and turned them on and felt the familiar feeling of being able to hear. 

I walked a little bit longer to the cafe I worked part time at. There weren't a lot of people there as it wasn't that popular. With almost nobody to serve I opened my phone and opened messages. I saw the wrong number I had texted and thought why not

Sophia: hi again

???: hi why ru still texting me

Sophia: well i'm bored and don't have peters number so i thought why not text u. 😀

???: alright i got nothing better to do

Sophia: tell me something about yourself so I can give you a name

???: i like spiders i guess

Sophia: great spider. Ms, mr or just spider?

???: ms spider

Sophia: Awesome

Sophia changed ??? to ms spider

Sophia: there we go. You can just call me by my name since you already know it.

ms spider: yup

Sophia: since we're both bored why don't we play 20 questions

ms spider: sure why not

Sophia: yay um 1. What's your fav colour? Mines blue

ms spider: black or red probably 2. Birthday mines dec 3

Sophia: Mine's August 22

 3. Prefer pronouns if you don't mind me asking I'm she/her.

ms spider: ooh national be an angel day

I'm she/her as well
4. What's your fav song?

Sophia: I don't really listen to music

Ms spider: really why not

Sophia: no reason I gtg ttyl

I put my phone down as some customers came in. It was only around 9 so not a huge amount of people. I know I was a little weird about the question ms spider asked but I don't like questions that have to do with hearing. I just don't like talking about being deaf. I don't like the pitying looks I get from people. Which is why I try to tell as few people as possible.

I left a little abruptly and I hope she didn't get suspicious about it. Nothing to see here.

New book yay. Been writing this for a while in my notebook so about 10-15 chapters are already done. Just gotta put them into Wattpad.