chapter 13 - can i walk you home?

After sitting in his room, I decided I might as well help him cook. It was late in the evening and we agreed to make dinner for the whole family with Julieta. She ordered Camilo to chop the vegetables and I watch him struggle to cut them into thin slices.

"Here, I'll do it," I say, gently nudging him away.

I take the knife from his hand and hold the tomato firmly on the chopping board. I demonstrate how to cut it properly, slicing it into thin, even slices in front of him. He stares at me in disbelief and attempts to cut the other tomato. I watch him slice it a little better than before. I smile at him.

"Okay guys, have you finished slicing them? If so, I'll take it from here," Julieta says before taking the sliced tomatoes. I guess she was too good at cooking that she didn't need our help. I mean we did help her prepare the food, all we had to do is cook it.

While we watched her cook, Camilo and I talked for a while.

"What do you think she's making?" he asks curiously. We both stare at her stir the massive pot of stew.

Julieta laughs.

"I don't know but it does smell nice," I reply breathing in the strong aroma in the air.

He nods in agreement.

"Okay time to plate up the food and set up the table, come on chop chop now," Julieta says before passing me the cutlery.

We take the cutlery out to the backyard. I notice fairy lights were put up, surrounding the table and lit up candles on each side. We place the plates opposite each chair and then went back to the kitchen. Julieta just finished plating up her last dish. 

"Okay you guys can take the food out, Casita, get everyone to come outside for dinner," she says.

We take the heavy plates of food to the backyard. I look at my plate, it smelt so good. My tummy grumbles a bit.

"Hungry are you?" Camilo looks towards me.

"Yup I am, after that sesh of ping pong and cooking, I'm very hungry," I tell him before placing the food down.

"Mmmm it smells very good out here," I hear Mirabel say as she walks outside before taking a seat. I take a seat opposite her while Dolores sits beside me and Camilo on my other side.

"I heard everythinggg," Dolores whispers in my ear, nudging me.

I hit her playfully, "Hey!" I whisper back before we both end up giggling.

Everyone else takes a seat, their eyes wandering over the massive feast of food we set up on the table.

Abuela rings the glass, grabbing everyone's attention.

"Thank you to Julieta, Camilo, and y/n for cooking us up a massive feast for all of us to enjoy," she says before clapping. Everyone else applauds after her. I look at Camilo, he smiles at me...I smile back.

We all dig in. This isn't the first time I ate dinner next to Camilo, I hope it isn't my last. I quickly plate up as much food as I can on my plate.

"Pig," Camilo mumbles before covering it up with a cough.

I look at his plate, his is even more filled than mine.

"Fatty," I mock him.

He looks at me with a straight face before taking a bite of the corn. He chews slowly.

I do the same.

We both try not to laugh.

I look over to see Isabela looking towards us, covering her smile. She winks at me. I smile back.

"Y/n, you got a bit of corn on your face," he says, wiping off the kernel next to my mouth.

"Oh thanks, you got some too," I say pinching his cheek, even though he didn't have any.

He shows a straight face again. 

We finish our food quite quickly, as well as everyone else. I look around the table seeing everyone have their own little conversations with each other. I was so happy to see everyone else happy too, especially Camilo.

When we finished, everyone helped take the dishes in and we all cleaned together. Turns out, we got it done very quickly. I then realised I needed to get home, it was quite late. 

"Bye guys," I say to both Dolores and Isabela, "I can't thank you guys enough for what you guys did today," I say smiling at them.

They smile back, "you're so in love with him," Isabela says before hugging me. Dolores giggles.

I wanted to say bye to Camilo but I couldn't find him. Oh well, I guess. As I walked out of the Casita, I notice him catch up behind me.

"Can I walk you home y/n?" he asks me.

"Of course," I say before smiling at him. He smiles back. Oh god, I love his smile.

We walk together down the path into town. The town was lit up with lights and I could hear the sounds of people talking and laughing. As we get closer to my house, my legs begin to weaken, I'm so tired I thought. I yawn.

"You better get some sleep," he says before turning to look at me.

We were in front of my depressing house, inside was my mother probably sleeping. I hug him goodnight.

"Goodnight Camilo, see you tomorrow," I whisper in his ear while embracing him tightly.

He hugs me back. His arms cling tightly onto me, "goodnight y/n," he whispers back.

His embrace made me feel warm and fuzzy.

I let go of him and wave goodbye as I walk back into the door.

He waves back, smiling.

I close the door.

FOR SOME REASON, THE CHAPTERS I WRITE AT NIGHT ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ONES I WRITE IN THE DAY LMAOO - ANYWAYS THANKS FOR READING EVERYONE, HOPED YOU LIKED IT <3