~23~

"Aether?" Dain had exclaimed as his sword hit Aether's own blade.

Gritting his teeth, Aether placed both of his hands on the blade. Lumine took this as he chance and quickly ran to Dains side brandishing her sword. Dain jumped back to avoid Lumines attacks and as soon as the weight from Dains attack disappeared, Aether fell to his knees, his arms shaking from how much strength he had expended in those few seconds to protect his sister.

“What are you doing Aether?” Paimon’s high pitched voice questioned.

“Sorry,” Aether replied, his face downcast. “As much as I know what's going on, I can’t stand by to see my sister get hurt.”

“Aether,” Lumine looked at him with a small smile making its way on her face.

“Lumine,” Aether turned to his sister seriously. “What’s going on? What’s this war of destiny that you’re talking about.”

“I-”

Just as Lumine was about to say something, the castle started to collapse out of nowhere. Lumine grabbed Aether by the wrist and pulled him to leave the area of the castle while Paimon followed after. Dain looked towards Kazuha who nodded with their eye contact based communication. He took your limp body into his arms and carried you, running away from the castle. Dain stayed right behind Kazuha to protect him and you from any flying debris.

“W-what’s go…ing on?” You started to mumble as you started to wake up from being shaken by Kazuha.

Eyes slowly blinking open, your blurry eyesight started to clear up after a while. After trying to properly wake up and subconsciously process everything, you finally noticed the person who was carrying you.

“Kazuha?” You nearly yelled in surprise. “What are you doing here? You shouldn’t be here!”

“Just wait for a while,” Kazuha grinned at you.

Blushing, you covered your face. Trying to distract yourself, you turned your head to look behind Kazuha only to make eye contact with a disapproving Dain. He took his sword and aggressively cut open a rock that was about to hit him. Shaking his head, he looked at you and sent messages that he didn’t approve you of being together with Kazuha.

Right in front of Kazuha, Aether and Lumine had stopped after they decided that it would be a good spot to stop at. Stopping, Kazuha put you down and helped you regain strength in your legs after being unconscious for a good while.

“Lumine,” you smiled when you noticed the blonde haired girl holding Aether’s hand.

When you had said her name, your old companion looked away from you, face contorted with guilt and shame. She placed her hand over her arm and refused to talk. 

“Lumine-”

“Ir seems to have come back,” the voice that you had hated for the longest time interrupted you. “You, the leader of the old humankind. It is finally time I end you.”

“Its you,” Lumine’s eyes turned dark as she saw her enemy, the enemy that she was destined to fight.

The unknown goddess appeared, her white hair flowing and pale skin shining just as you had remembered. Her calculating and cold eyes looked at you as if she was staring into your soul. Hand raised, she summoned a black cube outlined in orange by her side that multiplied in a line towards you. You jumped back as the cubed weapon smashed the place that you once stood at. Knowing that the unknown goddesses power was something that you wouldn’t be able to defend against, you summoned an orb by your side.

Once more, the whip created by the cubes summoned by the goddess rose to attack you. Spontaneously reacting to the unknown goddesses power, you dodged her attack and initiated a laser attack of your own. The orb charging up based on your command, it released a miniature version of the laser that you had summoned earlier.

Dain also made his way to attack. A blue aura surrounding his hand, he spread his power all over his body. Foot pushing on the ground, he leaped towards the floating goddess with his sword raised for an attack. With her other hand, the goddess summoned more cubes by her side as a way to block Dain’s attack.

Preoccupied with Dain, Lumine summoned wings behind her back and flew to the other side of the goddess. Unfortunately, her attack was also blocked and soon enough the two who had attacked them where thrown to the side. 

You quickly shot one more laser to the distracted goddess which she had also blocked. 

“Lumine!” You yelled out hoping that Lumine would listen to you. “I’ll distract her. Kazuha, Aether, can I ask for your help.”

Both Aether and Kazuha nodded at you. Moving towards your side, Kazuha took his sword in his hand and summoned electricity and wind to circle the blade.

Shakly standing up, Lumine nodded and brandished her sword once again. Copying her, Dain also took his own sword in preparation to fight. Aether summoned his own sword and with a prompt yell, a tornado flew towards the goddess. 

Using the cubes, she cut through the tornado like it was paper. As she cut through Aether’s attack, Kazuha made a wind sword by his side to use it as a catalyst to summon an anemo wall. At the same time, you pushed for more of you power. Overflowing from your body, the energy started to come out and enshroud you in a gold glow.

You flew up and with your sword, you attacked her with back-to-back slashes. Up, down, hand twist and side, you attacked with simultaneous cuts that the goddess still blocked. Front slash, back slash, jab, diagonal cut, you continued to attack one after another. Faster and faster, you pushed yourself to attack faster than the goddess could defend. 

Grinning you noticed a scratch on the goddesses cheek. Blood running down her face, she looked at you with even more hate.

“Ack,” you coughed as you felt pain in your stomach come out of nowhere.

Looking down, you noticed an orange shard stuck in your stomach. Since you were distracted, the goddess used the cubes around her to slap you away. Falling down, you felt yourself growing weaker once more, the adrenaline you forcefully pumped into your body dying out. Reacting instantaneously, Kazuha took his sword and launched a barrage of anemo blasts strengthened with electro power.

“Y/N!” Kazuha yelled as he caught you before landing safely on the ground.

“You dare!” Dain threw a giant blue glowing needle towards the unknown goddess. 

However, the goddess had expected an attack and it was deflected once more. Hands pointed to the sky, orange needles - that looked just like the one that Dain had summoned - appeared one after another. Guiding the needles towards Dain, they flew towards the blonde knight.

“Dain!” you screamed, you eyes tearing as you saw a needle hit Dain in the chest.