Chapter 3

Penelope's P. O. V:

I'd met Pin at the Diner a week ago and when he'd finally showed up, Becky had asked if we were really still together. I'd told her not even being in different stables could keep us apart and she'd gushed about us until Pin and I placed our orders.

Then Pin had told me all about his time at Halloway, about his new teammates.

I head downstairs wearing a short sleeved pink and purple striped shirt. I stop short when I see Grandpa who is holding a helmet with wings on either side.

 I stop short when I see Grandpa who is holding a helmet with wings on either side

"What are you holding?" I question, as I go in for a quick breakfast of eggs and bacon which is already set out

"It's your mother's Maiden of the Isle helmet," Grandpa says. "I found this out earlier. The Saxons once invaded the island but a warrior woman challenged them." I eat as I listen intently. "If she won, they would leave. If she lost..."

"But, she didn't because she won?" I ask knowingly. Grandpa nods his head.

"That's right. It's a fun tradition. Maria won the year after Maggie. I'm glad you're going, you two," Grandpa says.

"Yup, though I'm supposed to be training with James Foresythe. Which I should be right now," I say, getting up from the table.

"Have fun, sweetheart," Grandpa says.

"Oh, yes! Training with Mr. Creepy is fun," I say sarcastically, as I leave, I mutter, "Bring it on, James Foresythe."

I bike to the stables and get Bella tacked up. I meet James in the arena and warm my black mare up. I keep my hands steady as I head for the first jump. Bella clears it easily and we head for the next.

I canter Bella back to James and halt her. "Not bad, Jones. It seems as though you haven't gone rusty this past year."

"What I've been telling you."

"Take her around again," James tells me.

I tug the reins and canter Bella over the blue fence. We clear it without a clip of her hoofs.