Chapter 11

Penelope's P. O. V:

I return to the course with Bellatrix fully tacked up and Gaby went first for Halloway. She'd gotten them a clear round, just like Alex and Callum when he went.

The announcer says, "Callum Alpheck taking Halloway into first place. Next up, Peter Hawthorn!"

I say, arms crossed, "Gaby rode a perfect round, and Alex rode a perfect round."

Mia says, "Now Callum's in the lead for the individuals."

"That's Peter Hawthorn for the starting line. Final call for Peter Hawthorn."

Mia says, "Pin's not gonna show. Once a stable boy, always a stable boy."

I say firmly, "He'll be here!"

"Let's hope not," Mia says. "Without Pin, we can actually win."

"Guys, look!" Susie says, causing us to look to the gate. I grin upon seeing Pin enter on Elvis. "Pin's riding Elvis!"

"Hawthorn! What are you doing?" Callum calls. "Elvis is untrained. It's too risky! You need to get on Jet. Now."

"My name's not Hawthorn," Pin shoots back. "It's Pin! I'm doing this my way!"

I grin happily as Pin enters the starting line for the course.

Pin looks at the postcard his mother gave him before tucking it in his jacket. The starting bell rings and Pin takes off at a strong canter, heading for the first jump.

He clears it easily and heads for the next fence.

When Pin comes cantering over the finish line, I cheer along with the crowd.

"A clear round with the fastest time puts Peter Hawthorn into first place," The announcer states.

Mia says, "I blame this entirely on you Zoe. If you hadn't dragged Pin with you, he never would've gone over to the dark side."

We each have our horses with us as Zoe retorts, "Yeah. It was al part of my master plan to take down Bright Fields and lose Raven..." She trails off as hip hop music blasts from the stands.

We look to see Becky and Jade on a stage, Bob lingering near them. They were both in pirate outfits.

Mia asks, "What is she doing?"

"My name's Becky! Her name's Jade!" Becky says.

"We're a couple of smuggler mates!" Jade says and mutters something I can't hear, even when Becky responds.

"We're gonna steal the day like pirates, oh!"

"We Bright Fields are going for gold! When I say Bright Fields you say "Y" aw!" Bright Fields!" No one answers Jade. "Bright Fields!"

I say, "Guys, come on! Y' aw!"

The others chant, "Y' aw!"

Jade and Becky chant, "Bright Fields!"

By now, the people in the stands chant along with us. I also spot Meredith Moore in the seats.

"Y' aw!"

"Bright Fields!"

"Y' aw!"

"Bright Fields!"

"Y' aw!"

"Y' aw!" Becky and Jade chant before ewe all burst into cheer.

The announcer clears his throat, saying, "That was—ahem—uh, unusual. Bright Fields, prepare for your round."