Chapter 21

Penelope's P. O. V:

Zoe and I keep banging on the door as we scream pleadingly, "Callum?! Callum, let us out!!"

Zoe and I turn back to Gaby standing by Ariel as we heave sighs. Zoe groans, "It won't budge! There has to be a way out of here."

I say as Gaby looks around, reaching into my right boot, "I have a pocket knife to pick the lock with." The others gape at me. I shrug. "What? You never know when you'll get into situations like this. I've kept it since the horsenapping incident two years ago."

Zoe says in astonishment, "I can't believe you still have that!"

"I could use it to pick the lock, but the lock's on the other side." I sigh in frustration.

"Up here," Gaby speaks up, and we head over to a small, high window.

Zoe says, "Give me a leg up." Gaby and I cup each of her boots and grunt as we lift her up. "Higher! Higher! I can't see!"

Gaby and I tumble back from Zoe's weight and Zoe falls on the ground with us.

"Well, there's only one thing for it," Sighs the Phillips. Gaby and I gaze at her questioningly. HEEELLLPPP!!"

The three of us scream at the top of our lungs, hoping for someone to be able to hear us, "HEEELLLPPP US!! HEEELLLPPP!! HEEELLLPPP!!"

No one has come to our rescue since we started yelling. We found a bucket of water and I decide to ration it out to the horses.

Gaby tells me, standing by Ariel, "Save some for us."

I respond pointedly, "They need it more than we do."

I finish letting a chestnut pony drink as Gaby says and I approach her, "They're getting worse, and there's nothing we can do."

I say sarcastically as I go to the next horse, "Oh, okay. So we should just give up?"

"Unless the Great Pippa has a better idea?" Gaby asks just as sarcastically.

I scoff and set down the bucket before I plant my hands upside down on my hips and ask Gaby, "Are you trying to make this a competition? Seeing who's best at being trapped with a bunch of poisoned horses?"

"No," She says, stroking Ariel's shoulder. "Sorry."

I say gently, "It's okay. It's a tense situation."

"No, I really am sorry," Gaby says as Ariel turns her head to luck her arm. "Look, I know I'm not exactly easy to be friends with."

"That's true," I say as Zoe nods her head in agreement. "But Zoe and I both happen to think you're worth it."

When Gaby looks behind Ariel, she says, "I think there's something over there." She goes over and picks up the object before returning to us. She gently shushes Ariel and holds up one of Jade's old tags. "It's just one of Jade's old tags. It's not—"

"Wait, wait, wait! Super Zoe has an idea," The Phillips says as she snatches the orange tag from Gaby.

Zoe then presses the button and a red light flashes on in a kind of pattern.

It took me a minute, but then I recognise it as Morse Code.

🐴🐴🐴

Zoe sits against the door as she continues pressing the tag. "Dot, dot, dot. Dash, dash, dash. Dot. Dot. Dot."

Zoe let's put a sigh and slumps as Gaby and I rub the backs of our necks. It was getting really hot in here.