Chapter 20

Penelope's P. O. V:

I wear my three quarter length sleeved white shirt with my pink wolf jewellery set, black jodhpurs and my brown leather tasseled jacket, my long blonde hair unbound as I walk into the parade with Grandpa Simon, the both of us holding a stick of half eaten cotton candy.

Grandpa Simon and I see Gaby lining up beside Callum behind the Mayor's float

Grandpa Simon and I see Gaby lining up beside Callum behind the Mayor's float. As we stop beside Zoe, Frank and Aaron, Gaby notices us and Zoe and I wave to her.

Claire says in the speaker as Zoe addresses Frank, "Welcome to the Victory Parade!"

"Do you think the Mayor is still mad at me?"

Frank says, "You publicly accused her of stealing wild horses and ruined her daughter's birthday surprise."

I tell Zoe, "She'll still be mad at you in the year 2099."

"Ladies and gentlemen! I give you our Olympic hopeful, Callum Alpheck!" I roll my eyes sarcastically as the crowd cheers and the man and woman gripping the reins turn Callum's and Gaby's horses around. "Along with Gaby Grant!"

Zoe and I smile as we clap and the riders wave.

Grandpa tells me, "You're being really brave about this, sweetheart. I know you wanted to be up there. You too, Zoe."

"Thanks, Granddad. We are trying to be supportive but it's hard with, well... that!" I say as I point to Callum who's dismounted and approached three girls with pom-poms.

Zoe hums in agreement.

"5, 6, 7, 8!" Callum counts. He whoops as music starts playing and the girls do a kind of dance. Zoe puts her fingers to her temple in confusion while I roll my eyes, groaning.

How, exactly, did Callum make the team again?

I bury my face in my hands until the dance is over. I look up just when Callum holds up his fists similar to a cat.

I roll my eyes again as Gaby looks at Zoe and I while holding up her middle finger.

The crowd cheers as Callum says, "That's how you do The Callum! I wanna see you all doing it when I ride out for the Under 18's." He goes to hi five his family before returning to Darius. "Oops! Did I mention my dad was the captain of the Under 18's?" Gaby holds up her hand to his family and they return it. "You know, you could say..." He swiftly jumps onto Darius' back. "... this is my destiny!"