Chapter 16

Penelope's P. O. V:

I was fast asleep when Halsey's Castle plays from my phone. I turn over to try and tune it out but my phone wouldn't shut up.

Scowling, I grab my phone and look to see it's Gaby calling me. I press the green call button and put the phone to my ear. "What is it?" I grumble sleepily, rubbing at my eyes.

Gaby asks, "Have you seen Pin?"

I reply, rubbing my right eye, "Not since yesterday. I've been up all night trying to contact him but Pin wouldn't answer any of my calls or texts. He's still at the castle. Why? What's wrong?"

"... Ariel's about to give birth. Marcus can't get a hold of Pin and we can't risk calling a vet," Gaby says after a hesitant pause.

My brown eyes nearly pop out of their sockets at this and I gasp, "I'll be there in five minutes! Just try to keep Ariel calm," I add as I remember what I read in a certain book.

"Okay. Thank you so much, Pepper," Says Gaby gratefully.

I hang up and throw the blankets off before I literally jump out of bed. I snatch my clothes and get dressed in my pin and purple short sleeved shirt, my pink jodhpurs and pink sleeveless hoodie.

 I snatch my clothes and get dressed in my pin and purple short sleeved shirt, my pink jodhpurs and pink sleeveless hoodie

"Hey! What's with the rush? And on a Saturday?" Grandpa asks as I race into the kitchen for a quick breakfast.

"Sorry! Can't slow down! I promised Gaby I'd be there for Ariel's foal's birth. She's about to give birth at any moment," I reply while snatching up the last of the jam toast.

I then kiss Grandpa's cheek before chomping into the toast, then I grab my bike and zoom for the stables.

I basically throw my bike against the wall and put my bag away. I take my phone, tucking my phone in my jumper pocket, before rushing to Ariel's stall. Both the doors were closed.

I yank the door open, causing Marcus and Gaby to whip around to me. They relax upon seeing it's just me. "It's about time!" Gaby says as I finish my toast. "I'm really worried about Ariel."

"Gaby, calm down. Everything's going to be okay. Pin will be here," I say. I go up to the mare and gently run my hands over her back. "How is she?"

"She's anxious. Nothing's happened yet," Says Marcus.

I wait with Marcus as Gaby says to Ariel, "You know, when I said I wanted to find my horse, I didn't mean a fugitive, pregnant, unridable wild one. I reckon you'll do." Suddenly, Ariel gives a shrill whinny and jerks away from Gaby. I tense out of surprise. "Whoa, whoa! Easy, easy! Raven is just outside, and I'm not going anywhere." We watch, Gaby and Marcus with wide, worried eyes, as Ariel suddenly lies down. "Ariel?"

Marcus jerks his head to me as he exclaims, "What's happening?!"

Gaby says, "Is that supposed to happen?!"