Chapter 14

Penelope's P. O. V:

I wear my long sleeved burgundy red horseshoe printed shirt with my matching horseshoe jewellery set and red jodhpurs. I have on my brown jacket as well and I have my blonde hair unbound as I stand next to Pin in the back stall with Gaby, Ariel pawing at the ground in front of us.

Wanted posters of the mare have also been put up around the yard.

Gaby says, "Something's wrong."

My boyfriend says, gazing at the anxious mare, before resting his left elbow on his hand in thought, "I can't figure it out. She's physically fine." Pin has just finished examining her, but found no physical wounds on her. Ariel is shaking and her tail is really high, but other than that, he can't seem to find anything wrong with her...

Zoe suggests, gesturing to the mare, "Well, maybe she knows there's a price on her head? The whole island is looking for her."

As Ariel nickers, the top stall door opens and Marcus pops his head in. "Hey, is Mia here?" He asks.

I say, "No. what's up?"

Marcus says worriedly, "The training center called and they want me to do my exam today and she's supposed to be riding for me..."

"Today?" Zoe asks worriedly.

"Yup. The examiner's on her way."

Gaby says, stepping forward, "You have to cancel."

Pin tells the Greenbridge, "Ariel's distressed. We can't let any outsiders in until we've worked out what's wrong with her."

Gaby inputs fearfully, "They could report her to the Mayor!"

Looking disappointed, Marcus says, holding up his cellphone, "I'll give them a call back."

Zoe says, making Marcus pause, "Marcus, wait. You're always putting us first and now it's our turn to do the same for you. So, Golden Boy, go out there and ace that exam!" Marcus smiles appreciatively before he closes the door and Zoe turns back to us. "We can handle Ariel. Right?"

We look back at the anxious mare as she shifts and nickers.

Pin says he's going to get some medicine for Ariel and I offer to help. I look through the shelf as Pin pulls out a tub with a green lid. He shows it to me and I nod my head in approval.

"Have you heard from Mia?" We turn to the door to see Marcus.

"Mia?" Pin and I echo.

Pin says sarcastically, "Yeah. She called earlier and asked if Pippa and I wanted to go on a pony trek."

I roll my eyes playfully at my boyfriend as we turn to the Greenbridge.

"Haha," Marcus laughs sarcastically, entering to grab his jacket.

I ask, "Why? What is it?"

Marcus checks his watch as he says worriedly, "My exam starts in ten minutes and she's still not here."

I say with a raised eyebrow, "Typical Mia."

Marcus says, "She knows how important this is to me!"

I suggest, giving a light shrug, "Can't you just do it with someone else?"