Welcome Back (Chapter 22)

A/N: (Hoo Boy, that devilish grin loookin good, Shinra!)

"Shinra the Hero, that's what you wanted to be, huh? Could I ask you, why you wanted to be one?"

Sitting on top of the roof at midnight, you chatted with Shinra about his future during the Fire Force Academy school days.

"To be honest. I just wanted to be there for the people that need help, so that the same thing doesn't happen to them. They may insult me, hurt me, or try to smear my name, but I'm reminded that there are people worth protecting."

He points over at you, catching your attention.

"Part of the reason is you, (Y/N).  You remind me, that there are people out there, being so kind to others just like you. Willing to stand up for others and themselves, so I thought I'd try to do the same."

He smiled as he looked up the glistening stars at night.

...

..

.

You stop daydreaming as you open the door towards the office. You were immediately met with Maki, Tamaki, and Iris.

"Heyyy! Welcome back (Y/N)!" Maki quickly hugs you and welcomes you back.

"Oh-Uh, Hey Maki!"

"How are you feeling, (Y/N)?" Iris says, happily.

"Me? I'm feeling fine! Healthy as a gor- I mean, dog!" You quickly correct yourself and look at Maki, who was unfazed by your correction."

"Nice save." Shinra whispered in your ear.

Takehisa opens the door as he notices you.

"Glad to see you're back (Y/N), Shinra, and Arthur. You're in time for the meeting."

"Meeting?"

- Inside Akitaru's Office -

"Based on the reports and analysis of the attack on Vulcan's Workshop, we've determined that the Evangelist followers are hiding underground in the Nether."

"The Nether? You sure?"

Akitaru nods.

"The Holy Sol Temple tells us, the Nether is a placed far removed from the Great Sol's Light. The caverns are both dark and unclean."

"Like Sister Iris said, the Nether has roots under Tokyo, and the underground is considered forbidden ground, which makes this a perfect place for the cultists to set up shop."

Victor continues on with the informational part of the meeting, talking about the Evangelist clues.

"As for what the Nether looks like, it's compromised of the now defuncted railway tunnels that used to run throughout the city! My understanding was that most of the tunnels collapsed during the Great Cataclysm, but it looks like there are more railway tunnels than one would expect."

"I looked at what Giovanni left behind, cross-referenced that of artificial combustion sites and found where they are."

He points at the place of the Evangelist.

"Yotsuya"

Akitaru takes over the presentation.

"Tomorrow, we're gonna bust in to the secret lairs of the bastards who've been burning innocent people alive. We'll knock down all their doors and find the secret of human combustion.