Chapter 16

(A quick recap; Jeongguk takes Taehyung to his place aka the hell with him. Then Taehyung gets to know the things Jeongguk had lied about or hidden from him. They argue, Taehyung confesses, Jeongguk rejects, they come back. Now back to the story)

Third person's pov:

"Heard you were back from your three days leave?"

Taehyung lifts his head up at the voice. He sees Namjoon leaning at his office door. A fitted black suit, white shirt, his dark hair swept back and his signature dimple smile on his face. Taehyung gives him a small smile back and puts his pen down.

"Yeah. I did go to your office earlier. You weren't there"

Namjoon steps inside then, gently closing the door behind him. "Hm. Had an outdoor meeting", he pops the button of his coat open and takes the chair across Taehyung.
"You tell me though. What was the emergency?"

Taehyung looks down at his fingers, fiddling with the thin silver rings, "Mr. Choi told me that they got new applicants for the school post. He wanted to know if I'm fine with it", he tells with a small shrug. Then looks at Namjoon, "I just needed some time to wrap that stuff up"

It's not a lie. But it's also not the reason Taehyung took some days off. He tries to tell himself he didn't do it because of Jeongguk, but because he didn't feel like getting up and talking to people. But then his heart tells him to stop lying.

"Oh. Good then. That job is over I guess? We can officially welcome you here?", Namjoon's smile brightens a little. Voice fond as he speaks to the younger.

Taehyung nods, "Yeah. Everything is over", he looks away again. But he does hear Namjoon chuckle.

"Come on, Tae. That job wasn't everything. You always have more in life"

Taehyung's lips lift up, in a sad, self pitying smile. "Maybe. But it was something. Something I cherished and cared for. It's gone now". Namjoon nods though he doesn't know Taehyung's mind is in another head space. Thinking of something else.

"You're right, I guess. No matter how insignificant, sometimes things do become special to us", Taehyung loves him. He always gets Taehyung. Even if in different contexts, but Namjoon is right. Then Namjoon leans forward and softly touches Taehyung's hand on the table. "But hey, let's make the best of what we have. Lunch on me?"

For the first time in the past few days, Taehyung actually smiles. "Alright, Mr. CEO. On you it is"

Namjoon stands up then. Fixing his coat. "You do look a little dull though. You gotta eat for me and you both", he teases.

Taehyung doesn't comment, just shakes his head as they both make their out of the office.

Lunch is nice, better with Namjoon being there. He does make Taehyung finish all his meal and even adds more from his own plate. Taehyung isn't even allowed to complain about it, and truth be told, he really hasn't eaten much in the past few days. So it's welcomed.

When they get back, Namjoon excuses himself to his own office while Taehyung gets back to his. He feels the presence of someone even before he gets to see them. There, right beside his office table, with his back to Taehyung.

"What are you here for?", his voice turns just a tad bit cold as he speaks. But he doesn't try to be subtle with it either. He is bitter after all.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be intrusive. But I thought it was better if I waited inside than outside your door", Jeongguk says turning to him. He is in a plain white tee and black jacket, hair seem not as styled as usual. And he doesn't look as bright as usual too. Tries not to look up at Taehyung.