Chapter 19

Third person's pov:

Taehyung was tired after a long day of work. Thankfully it was weekend, he very much needed that rest. But when later that night, he finally received a reply from Jeongguk, the demon asking him he can come over if Taehyung still wants to talk, there was no way Teahyung would have said no. Though, in the far back of his mind he played with the idea of saying no but his heart won, and he agreed.

And now changed into his light gray sweats, the fluff of his hair messed up on his head after the shower, he waits for Jeongguk to arrive. He goes through all the things he wants to talk about with Jeongguk. Starting off with an apology, an apology for more reasons than one.

And so, when the bell to his apartment rings, he is not surprised. He knows he never has to buzz Jeongguk in. The demon always takes the easy route of teleportation. But recently, he had been asking for Taehyung's permission to enter, whether his office or home.

Not thinking much of it, Taehyung walks over to the door. He pauses for a moment, something feels off, he diesnt feel the energy buzzing around which is usaully there in Jeongguk's presence. But he is tired really, maybe he just needs rest and so he twists the nob, its a familar face right in front of him. But definitely not the one Taehyung was anticipating.

Taehyung's face contorts into confusion, he intents to ask the person how are they here?  What do they need at this hour? But before he gets a chance, he feels a ringing sensation in his ears. It's pressing down on his head and ears, painful enough that Taehyung thinks he might get a nose bleed. It is not a physical pain but somehow it's worse than that, he stumbles a couple of steps back. He's not sure if he's whimpering or screaming, it's just the ringing he can feel.

He thinks he manages to put both his hands on his ears, trying to cover them. But the pain is inside his head. It starts to get physical, his heart pumping loudly in his chest, his vision starts to turn hazy, borderimg to turn dark. The figure outside his door is saying something, something in a deep low voice, gone the usual brightness of it but Taehyung can not hear anything.

Maybe it's just a few seconds or maybe a couple of hours. But Taehyung gasps loudly, body jerking back with it as the ringing stops as abruptly as it had started. He still feels numb, a dull physical pain in his ears and chest. But his vision clears. His eyes are wet, not crying but on the verge of it.

His arms wrap around himself, slowly he lowers himself to the ground as his knees give in in exhaustion. Knees bent up and back against wall, he turns to look at the door with lided eyes, there's no one. His apartment is quiet again. Not a single sound except his ragged breathing. For the first time in so long, since he doesn't remember when, Taehyung experiences fear.

Cold, bone chilling fear crawls up his body. He didn't get as scared when a demon invited himself in his apartment and when he called guards on him, they couldn't see him. He wasn't scared of Jeongguk, not really. He went to literal Hell with Jeongguk but he was scared, but it didnt feel like this. When Jeongguk told him the truth, their bittersweet confessions, Taehyung was hurt, in pain, angry, sad. But not scared.

Now, it's like suddenly all if it is crashing down on him. These beings, they are not human. Jeongguk has mentioned witches, Taehyung doesn't know what else is there but he does know that they are so much more powerful than him. Taehyung never stands a chance before them. But it is not the only reason he feels scared.

Taehyung was never afraid of Jeongguk. But now, he is afraid for Jeongguk.

His thoughts are interrupted with soft, quiet footsteps outside his apartment door. The door which is still open. It's Jeongguk, Taehyung knows. He has learned to know. He never really understood how. Why can he tell when it's Jeongguk near him. Now he thinks maybe it's the strong aura around the demon. The different energy it feels around him. Maybe it's different for everyone, maybe Jeongguk's strong energy doesn't come as pleasant to others.