1.Rejection

"I reject you as my mate."

Boom. Boom. Boom.

My heart thunders inside my chest. The air turns heavy, making me feel like I'm losing my breath. My wolf is utterly distressed inside me.

"What?" I hate how weak my voice sounds, a barely-there whisper, questioning if this moment is real. Because it can't be. This can't be happening to me.

"You heard me, Violet," he looks down at me as if I am nothing...when I'm supposed to be everything. "This won't work."

"But...why?" Shit. My voice sounds even weaker. My heart is still racing inside me and I'm as close to fainting as I have ever been, considering it's not very common for a healthy young werewolf like me to feel sick enough to blackout.

He sighs as if my question inconveniences him.

How dare he.
It's as if I'm asking what he is having for lunch, when what I'm actually asking him is why the hell he would choose to reject the match that the freaking moon goddess gave him. It's not like they have mid-season sales or a nice "buy one, get one free" promotion for this type of thing.

Werewolves get one match, one true mate. And not every wolf has the honor of finding one in their lifetime. True matings are becoming rarer and rarer among our species, making them something to be cherished and appreciated above all else. It is said that those who are chosen to be a part of a perfect match are hand-picked by the goddess to do great things.

"Look, I'm sorry, Violet. But it's just not going to work." He tells me again.

Each time he rejects me, my breaths grows shallower. I'm very close to crying, now. My wolf feels frozen in pain. This isn't supposed to happen. Not to anyone, not to me.

"Is it because of Erin?" I ask, trying to understand what could possibly make him do this.

Erin is my mate's girlfriend. I met her before I even met him, a few days after starting classes at "Woodbridge University", a school meant for werewolves from different packs to mingle and create alliances. She was nice. I liked her. But that doesn't mean I want my one true mate to reject me for her. Yes, it was cruel that she was even the one that had introduced us, from afar. But it's far crueler for a wolf to be denied their mate after experiencing the connection.

He looks like he wants to deny it for a second but moves his head in a confirming nod instead.
"I love Erin."

This is the moment my knees give out. Literally. I drop to the floor right in front of him, losing any of the strength that was keeping me upright.

And just as I was thinking my humiliation could not get worse, he decides to crouch down to my level and pat me on the head, before telling me. "See you around, kid."

Kid???

I am only one year younger than the giant asshole the goddess decided would be perfect for me. If his birthday month is after August, we're not even talking about a year. So, he calls me that, not only is it infuriating, it doesn't make any sense.

I want to scream at him as I watch him walk away, leaving me on the floor, alone and destroyed. But a huge knot is lodged in my throat, blocking any words from coming out.

And so here I am. In the middle of a school hallway, surrounded by lockers, with tears falling down my cheeks and a hand pressed close to my chest, struggling to keep it together long enough to get up and out of the floor.

Soon, the bell will ring. And students from all around the university will leave the classrooms/auditoriums and have a front-row seat to the worst moment of Violet Knight's life. My life. And as much I want to stop it from happening, at this moment, there doesn't seem to be even one feather-light chance of my legs listening to me and getting me the hell out of here.