20. Too much

Everyone suddenly tenses, the same realization echoing around the room.

"I think I'm infected."

The sound of multiple chairs scraping the floor is all I can hear for a moment. The others are getting up in a rush, frantic to get away from the boy at the back of the class.

Every eye in the room is stuck to his sweaty forehead and sickly white face with looks that vary from horror to fear.

I don't move an inch, but Ryland and Liam position themselves in front of me to protect me from the danger in the room. Aiden is also quick to reach me, gently grabbing hold of my arm. He tries to lead me further away as well, but I hold myself firmly in place.

"No, Aiden," I tell him.

We are all scared right now. But there is no one more afraid than the boy who everyone is moving away from. Now that the hood of his sweatshirt isn't concealing half his face anymore, his eyes have become fully visible, and in his gaze lies a terrible mix of dread and alarm.

I push Liam to the side and step up from behind them so that I can face the infected werewolf.

"What's your name?"

Mr. Ledger also steps closer to the guys and me. The only people left standing in the middle of the classroom are us and, curiously, Tyler. The rest are backed up against the corner furthest away from the person holding the virus in his body.

"Jeremy Myers, from t-the Clearwater pack." The boy answers me in a weak voice. He looks close to falling over.

"Were you bitten or scratched recently, son?" The headmaster asks, sounding grim.

"Ah-no. Not that I remember," Jeremy replies, using his sleeve to wipe the drops of sweat continuously building on his temple. "Why am I infected? You said it's not airborne. I-I don't understand. Why me?"

The sorrow emanating from him is weighing heavy on my heart. This boy woke up not feeling great, probably confused about what was wrong, only to find out sometime later that he's got a virus capable of killing him. Or of turning his wolf feral.

No one wishes to be in his place. But, still, the others can't help but freak out. Perhaps the reason why the guys and I can remain calm is that we've known about this for much longer. Tyler, who also isn't cowering away, either already knew or is brave enough to face the virus from up close.

"I don't know, son. But we'll find out. Unfortunately, you're not the first case." Mr. Ledger announces, making the room gasp again.

With bad news after bad news, it's a miracle that no one's wolf is out yet. Well, a miracle plus the alpha energy that is still present, calming their wolves.

"How many more cases?" A girl asks, separating herself from the rest and approaching us.

She has dark black hair, cut short, and her body is toned and tanned. I can see the outline of delicate muscles all over her frame. There is a small piercing adorning her nose and a few tattoos scattered along her skin. She looks badass.

"One," Mr. Ledger states, not taking his eyes off Jeremy even while he answers her question. "Mora Caddel, Freecrest pack."

"Was she attacked?" The same girl asks.

Aiden is the one who answers. "She was targeted, just like Jeremy probably was."

My mate looks at Tyler, holding his gaze accusingly for a few seconds. He then turns toward the others.
"Someone is infecting students."

This time, it's impossible to avoid at least one loss of control. A guy's eyes turn yellow, and he starts to shift.

"Protect her," Aiden says fervently to Ryland and Liam before rapidly grabbing the out-of-control shifter by the shoulders and yelling at him in his alpha voice.