19. We survive

"Let's not panic. Now that everyone will know about the virus, they'll be more careful. That means the chances of the virus spreading by itself are much smaller," Liam points out, right after we tell him about the dreadful news that the infected girl- Mora- has been taken from the secure place that was set up for both her and possible new cases.

"Yes, everyone will know to watch out for the infection signs now," Zander adds as he puts a giant piece of steak in his mouth. I made plenty of food, but these boys are managing to surpass even Colton in how much they can eat in one sitting.

As I consider the delicate situation, a question forms in my mind. "Do you think the other students should know about this? It may make them even more careful, and they can recognize her if they see her."

Aiden's face turns thoughtful as he considers this. These days, every decision that is made comes attached with a million different consequences. I understand his inner debate; if we tell people, they become more capable of identifying the threat and protecting themselves. But it may also increase the outcome of mass panic that we are all trying to avoid.

"I think that honesty is our best policy. We just have to trust that the others can handle it. They deserve to know the truth as much as we do." Aiden declares.

My wolf is swelling with pride inside me. She appreciates that her mate is a good leader. It's not easy being the one that makes all the hard calls.

"Have you spoken with your dad?" Liam asks his friend and future alpha.

"Yes. He's still in conversation with the council and all the other alphas. But he told me that the council is finally accepting the need to turn this knowledge global."

I release a sigh of relief. At least we have some good news.

"Is Dagon also a part of these meetings?" Zander asks. Josiah Dagon is the alpha of the Legion pack and possibly the creator of the virus.

Aiden's eyes blaze with anger. "Yes."

Surprise fills my chest, and I almost don't stop myself from gasping. "What? Why? Isn't he like the main suspect?"

I can feel the rage swimming around in the connection that Aiden and I share. The hatred he harbors for the man who hurt his mother is enormous. Josiah Dagon didn't only damage Nora Hayes when he took her; he also traumatized the little boy who failed to protect her.

My own loathing for the man capable of committing such atrocities keeps growing within me. I'm an omega wolf, and my instinct to protect my pack's emotional stability constantly guides my actions. I want to help both Aiden and his mother heal from the monster who hurt them. I want to make him pay.

"My father hasn't told anyone about his suspicions yet. He wants more proof first. The Dagon vermin has been sucking up to the council for years now. It's too risky to accuse him without having indisputable evidence." Aiden's voice is calm. But it's not the type of calmness that sounds peaceful. Every word is spoken with such accentuated lethality that it's impossible to mistake it for anything other than a threat. While they can't outright accuse the alpha of Legion, that doesn't mean that they're not looking for ways to destroy him. If there is someone who has all the motivation to do so, it's Aiden's father.

"Then we'll find more proof," I tell him. "And we will make sure that he pays for every single life he ruined."

We will do it for my mate, for his mother, and for every wolf who has or will have their wolf turn feral—or die- all victims of the delusions of one man and the ones that wrongly support him.

Much like Aiden, I'm also the daughter of a great alpha. And my father taught me that pack and family are the most important things in the world. The people we care about must be cherished and protected. Just like I always was by everyone around me.