12. The Odds Are Terrifying

When Cami and I reach Colton's cabin, previously River's, we find both of them already at the kitchen table, a big stack of pancakes cooling off in front of them.

The door was unlocked, so we just walked straight in.

"Guys," I call out. "I'm here with Cami."

"Hey," Colton greets, a whole pancake making its wait inside his mouth.

River, the perfect gentleman, unlike my other brother, gets up immediately to greet my friend. "Hello, Cami. I'm sorry about earlier."

He must be referring to when he burst into our dorm room before Cami even finished telling us he was outside to push my mate against the wall.

"Oh, no biggie." My friend says, smiling. "You're welcome to come any time."

She looks innocent. But I know there's nothing innocent about her words. She's got a crush on both my brothers. Only goddess knows why.

"Who made the pancakes?" I question, stealing one from the plate and taking a bite. "They're too good to have been made by either of you.

"Finn made them," Colton answers, ignoring my insult, with his mouth full of yet another pancake.

"Speaking of it, where are the rest of the guys?"

"Finn and Ry went to town. Noah is hiding from River." Colton smirks, shaking his head. "He feels bad for telling him about your soon-to-be-dead mate. I would have told River myself, with no need for the alpha order. But I didn't think our brother would let me kill the idiot if he knew he's your true mate."

"That's because River is smarter than you." I glare at him. "And no one is killing Aiden."

"You're better off without him," Colton argues.

"Actually," Cami interrupts us both, pouring half a cup of honey on top of her pancake. "Mates are proven to feel the loss of their other half for the rest of their lives, even without completing the mating. It's described as enduring an intense and painful emptiness, bigger than normal grief, every second of the day, willing many to go as far as to kill themselves to get relief from the a

We all stare at her.

"What?" She complains, feeling our heavy staring. "It's like common knowledge."

River sighs. "Guess it's decided then. We can't kill him."

"Fine." Colton grunts. "But we can hurt him."

I roll my eyes. "Both of you already got one punch in. It will have to be enough to satisfy your violent urges. Now shut up and eat."

"One punch is not enough. Just because River is on your side doesn't mean he'll be able to stop me."

"Ah, Colton. Forever with the middle-brother attitude."

My brother almost chokes on his food. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing." I smile innocently.

Colton glares at me, and River laughs at our exchange from the other side of the table, where he and Cami are sitting. He then gets up and moves our way to ruffle our hairs. "Ahh, I missed your constant arguing. Home isn't the same without you, kids.

"Kids?" Colton and I both gasp.

"Yeah. My two annoying kid siblings."

"You're annoying." I stick my tongue out at him.

"Yeah." Colton agrees.

"Totally," Cami adds.

We all stare at her once more. She smiles sheepishly. "Sorry, I felt left out."