01. Heartbeat

Jay's eyes shot open and his body jolted up from the bed when a shrill, high-pitched cry filled the room

Jay's eyes shot open and his body jolted up from the bed when a shrill, high-pitched cry filled the room. He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked around only to find himself in his own room. He turned his head towards his baby daughter's crib. He was quick to register that his daughter was crying, in the middle of the night again.

He sighed as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and wore his flip-flops. He made his way towards the crib and soon a tiny, little baby, who was crying her heart out, came into his view. His eyes softened as he leaned forward and gently picked up his five-month-old daughter in his arms.

"Shh...It's okay, baby bread. Daddy is here... Why is my baby crying?" He cooed as he rocked his daughter in his arms, trying to hush her.

The little baby, however, continued crying as pearly tears cascaded down her chubby cheeks.

Jay brought her near his bare, tattooed chest, trying to give her a motherly warmth.

" It's too early, munchkin... It's two in the morning...Please don't cry at this hour. " He spoke softly and continued rocking her in his arms.

The baby eventually calmed down after a few minutes. She looked at her dad and let out a naughty giggle, letting him know that she was done crying. The man sighed at her actions as he spoke,

" You are a naughty lil girl, aren't you?"
The baby just giggled seeing her dad frustrated.

"Okay.. okay...enough drama.. now, you go to sleep and lemme sleep too, kay?" He spoke softly as he took some steps towards the crib but stopped immediately when he saw the baby's lips puckering out in a pout as her eyes started filling with tears again, indicating that she was about to cry for a second time.

Jay knew very well the meaning behind such expressions of her. Having known her for five months, he had grown familiar with her actions. At first, he was a noob. An idiot one. He knew nothing about parenting. He didn't even want to take care of her or raise her but after she persuaded him, he agreed to take her in.

Now, that he looked back, he realized that accepting her was the best decision of his life. He got someone who loved him unconditionally and didn't want him for his body. He got someone whose mere giggle could lift his mood. He got someone who trusted him blindly. He got someone who didn't care if he was a vampire, yet. He got his beloved daughter.

Jay sighed as he walked towards his bed with the baby in his arms. He slowly lay down on his bed and laid the baby on his chest with her tummy facing his torso. Her tears subsided as soon as he did so, as she returned to her bubbly-baby self.

Jay smiled when the baby smiled at him, showing her gums in the process as she still hadn't teethed. She babbled something in her baby language trying her best to communicate with her favourite person in the whole world.