Butterfly

Chapter 2

I sit in my bathtub, surrounded by bubbles and the scent of cherry blossoms. I feel at peace. Hannah wanted to hang out today, but I blew her off. I definitely needed today to unwind and relax. I dunk my head under the water for a bit and then I come back up for air. I feel like screaming so I do so. What the hell was today? What the hell was that?  I have no idea what to think of it. I talked to him for the second time in three years. Out of all the people, why did he choose me as his partner? I can still smell him around me. He was so close to me. I thought I was going to pass out.  My face flushes hot just thinking about it. I sigh loudly and start scrubbing my body with the soap bar. I need to get ahold of myself. He probably saw me panicking and that's why he approached me. He should come with a warning. Talk to at your own risk. 

The bath was well needed because as I leave it, I suddenly feel very, very tired. I climb into bed and wrap myself into my blanket. My eyes slam shut, and I fall asleep. When I wake up, it's dark outside and I'm hot. I throw my blanket off me and get out of bed. "Nabi. Come set the table for dinner." My mother calls out. I run a hand through my hair and head downstairs. I'm wearing a pair of white shorts and a black tank top. My mom is in the kitchen, cooking up something delicious. Her short hair is pulled back in a small ponytail. When I step in the kitchen, she smiles at me. It smells like tofu soup. I smile. I can totally use something delicious to forget about today. My phone buzzes and I see it's a text from Sana. 

Sana: Tell me how your day was! I miss you. :(

I smile and send her a text back. 

Nabi: It was wild. I'll send you deets after dinner. Love you. :)

Tonight, mom made tteokbokki. Extra spicy, just like how I like it. We eat our food, making small talk when it's appropriate. After dinner, I wash dishes while my mother prepares for bed. She has to work an early shift tomorrow. "Goodnight." I say, kissing her cheek. I head to my bedroom. I close the door and I call Sana. She doesn't answer. After a couple of minutes, my phone rings, indicating I have a video call coming through. I sit my phone on my desk so she can see my face and I can work on my homework at the same time. I push the green button. Her bubbly voices fill my room. She smiles and I smile a weak smile. "Okay, I want all the deets. Spill it now." She said. 

"Well, Moonbin approached me, and I almost had a heart attack." She slaps a hand to her mouth. 

"Are you serious?"

"Deadass. I don't even know how I survived it. It's all Hannah's fault. She like jinxed me or something." Sana laughs. 

"I'm sure it wasn't like that. Wow though, he approached you. When? Where? Why?" 

"Creative writing. After lunch. We had to do a partner project and for some reason he chose me." Sana squeals. 

"This is like great news. Maybe he's interested in you." I scoff. Don't get my hopes up like that. 

"I doubt it. This is like the second time we've talked in three years, and he doesn't even remember me." Sana pushes her nose against her screen, and it makes me laugh. "It would be nice to dream but I don't think it's possible." I take a strand of hair and twirl it in on my finger. 

"Well, you never know about tomorrow. Each day is a new day. Tomorrow might bring something even better." I roll my eyes. 

"Enough about me. Tell me about your day." Sana starts going on about her day and I start working on my homework while listening to her talk. She's animated as always. I think it's what I like best about her. How she can make the story feel like you're right there.

The following day comes fast and before I know it, I'm walking into school. Hannah is waiting at my locker for me as I approach it. She points to Moonbin who is unloading his bag into his locker. I freeze for a brief second before I shake my head and keep heading towards my locker. I wonder what he wrote about me. Is his locker really that close to mine? How have I not noticed that until now? I close my locker and hook arms with Hannah as we walk down the hallway. "How do you feel today?" She questioned. I sigh heavily.