Birthday Things

Chapter 5 

"Happy birthday to you!" Sana sing songs into my ear. She's on facetime and she's grinning at me. I just woke up but I can't keep the smile off my face as she starts singing happy birthday to me. 

"Thank you, Sana." I say, yawning sleepily. She smiles and puts her head in her hand.

"You're welcome. You know I had to be the first to say it to you. How does it feel to be seventeen?" I run a hand through my hair and shrug. 

"I feel the same as I did before." She laughs and I giggle. "I gotta get ready for school so I'll chat with you later." 

"You better call me or I'll call you." She says. I nod and she hangs up without saying bye. I drop my phone on the bed and lie back. Seventeen huh? I wonder what this year will bring me. I debated about telling Moonbin it's my birthday. What would I be expecting anyway? It's not like he's my boyfriend. I laugh out loud and sigh. What am I gonna do about these feelings? I think about last night. Why are you more comfortable around him then you are with me?  I bite my lip. Am I really more comfortable with Ren then I am with Moonbin? I shake the thought out my head. It's time for school and I have to look my best because it's my birthday!   

School is buzzing with the winter dance that is coming up. Girls are gossiping about who they want to be asked by while guys are checking out the girls. It's boy choice this time. A lot of girls are hoping that Moonbin will ask them. Hannah is for sure that Jinwoo is going to ask her. Is it bad that I'm hoping that Moonbin will ask me? I shake my head. Why does it matter if he asks me or not. I don't like social events like that anyway. I sigh and someone pokes my side. I jump to see that it's Moonbin. His hair is pushed back today, and my heart starts beating a little too fast. That hairstyle should also come with a warning. "I gotta get to class! See ya there Nabi." She winks before she walks away. Moonbin takes a few inches back and smiles at me.

"Morning butterfly." I blush hard and he smiles bigger. Does he get a kick from seeing me become a huge mess around him? 

"Hi Moonbin." I play with a strand of hair and look at the ground. 

"Come to the rooftop around lunch. There is something I want to ask you." He says. I look up and he turns the opposite way. "I'll be waiting so don't stand me up." He walks off and I stand there, my feet feeling very light. I think back to what he said a couple weeks ago. You're more comfortable around him then you are with me. Ren and I talk almost every day in math class. He tries not to talk too much in creative writing because of Moonbin. He's offered me a ride home a couple of times but I always decline. If Moonbin really did ask me to be his girlfriend, he wouldn't be fine with other guys taking me home. Even if they are friends. What's wrong with that though? Can girls really just be friends with guy? Or is it impossible? The bell dings and I head to class. 

Moonbin's POV

It's Nabi's birthday tomorrow and I'm sure she'd love if you did something nice for her. That's what Hannah said to me last night. Why wouldn't Nabi tell me it's her birthday though? Is she embarrassed? I sit in chemistry class, but I can barely pay attention. Why am I so nervous? I've been feeling weird ever since I've hung out with Nabi. I like spending time with her, and I can't help but smile when we are together. My heart beats a little faster when she blushes or gets shy. I think of Ren and make a face. I absolutely hate that she's so close to him. It should be me at your side always. 

I stand on the rooftop, holding a small bouquet of roses and balloons that say 'Happy birthday'. I check my phone and look towards the door. She's not here yet. Did she forget? She should be done with classes. I pull out my phone and look at myself in my camera. My hair is pushed out my face but a few strands hang in the front of my forehead. I sigh, running a hand through my hair. Why can't it stay in place? I groan just as the door opens. I drop my phone. I look up and see that it's Nabi with Ren? What the actual fuck?  Why is he with her? They are laughing about something. I quickly throw the roses behind me back. This was such a stupid idea. Why did I do this? "Sorry I'm la-" She stops mid-sentence and looks at me. I suddenly feel my hands getting sweaty. What is this feeling? Am I getting nervous?  She approaches me slowly and stops a few feet away, just staring at me. Well, idoit. You have to say something. This was your idea after all. I smile at her and hand her the balloons. The flowers still behind my back. Why is he still here? Can't he take a hint? I hold the flowers tighter. "What is this?" She questioned. Her eyes look shimmery. Is she going to cry? I take a deep breath.