15: Rooftop

**Slight trigger warning, details of jumping off a building**

(Not  for any suicide implied reasons)

"Okay, I was thinking today, if you're up for it you could try starting on the roof, and not the ground," Peter said. "It would probably be easier, with less running and you could glide to start."

I shrugged.

"We could also just go to the ground," Peter added. "But once we go back to the city there won't be room for that."

I think one round from the ground to start?

"Okay," He grinned. "You could even try landing on the roof if you want."

I nodded.

"Alright. Meet you down there." He hopped over the edge, a stray spiderweb grabbing the lip of the building moments later.

I raced down the stairwell inside, exiting using one of the many back doors and meeting peter near the hill. Thanks to the morning sun, there wasn't much of a shadow to stand under, and the grass was just slightly slippery from the dew.

Peter gave me a nod, and I began running to the hill. Flapping my wings once just as I began running downhill, I had enough power to get off the ground and glide over the ground below. 

I kept the flight short this time, flying up above the fields, then turning around and heading back to Peter. 

Seeing the roof from so high, there were a lot of different tiers to it, giving me multiple options to chose a certain spot to land.

I circled a few more times, landing soundlessly on the tallest tier. I was getting better at landing too, not having to run nearly as much, and almost breaking my legs in the process. My weight didn't do much, but the speed I was going at threw me forwards, so I had to move forwards after I landed.

Peter swung up a moment later, cheering. Harley, on a much lower tier, was also clapping.

"That was good!" Peter exclaimed. "That was so good!"

I smiled.

I'm just getting warmed up.

"Okay." He grinned. "Want to try it from up here?"

I nodded.

"Okay. I have a wingsuit so I can glide, like you." He explained. "I can demonstrate, or jump with you, or let you go on your own. Which do you want?"

"Go with me?" I suggested.

"Okay." He turned to Harley. "I'm gonna jump with Max!"

"What?!" He shouted. "No!"

The speed at which Harley climbed the ladders on the side of the building was incredible.

"Just because you're super strong doesn't mean you have to jump off a building!" He exclaimed.

Peter smiled and held out his arms in a t-pose. "Wingsuit, remember?" Thin, transparent material formed a sort of webbing between his arms and legs. I assumed it gave him more surface area, available for gliding.

"Right." Harley panted. "Sorry. Don't get hurt."

"I won't." He replied. "And besides, Max will catch me if I fall. Right, Max?" He glanced at me.

I shrugged.

"Rude."

Harley took a seat on the end of the tier, giving us all the room available to get a running start. According to Peter, I didn't need it, so we stood together at the lip of the building and prepared to jump.

We must have been eighty feet off the ground, though I didn't feel woozy, or dizzy, or sick. I felt amazing like I could do anything in the world.

"Remember, wait to open your wings until you're off the building," Peter exclaimed. "They'll just slow you down and mess up your fall."

I nodded.

"I'll go a couple seconds after you, so we don't crash." He said.

I nodded again and glanced down. 

"And you need to go headfirst, or it won't work," Peter added.

I nodded again, and slowly leaned over the edge.

I kept going until I felt my body go freely, and I dropped off the side.

Wind raced past my ears, and I opened my wings before I could think anything else.

The ground raced past me, only a few feet below. I quickly flew up higher, flapping my wings and climbing higher and higher.

I turned around to see Peter and Harley clapping before Peter jumped off, his wingsuit opening and he appeared just below the building. 

I glided lower and lower, finding that if I began to fly more vertically, it would slow me down. I used that to my advantage, facing my wings up rather them hitting the ground and flapping lightly.

This time I stuck the landing, exactly where I wanted to be.

Peter had landed on the ground and climbed back up the building during the time I was in the air. 

"You almost hit the ground," Harley stated. "Nice job."

"Thanks."

"That was such a good job!" Peter exclaimed, hugging me.

I smiled and let my arms hang at my sides. 

He let go and motioned to my wings. "You're getting really good."

I smiled again.

"Wanna go again or take a break?" He asked. "Mr. Stark brought you some water."

"Water," I replied, taking the bottle from his hands and chugging it.

"Damn," Harley said. "Ready to go back to the city and jump off the helipad?"

I shook my head.

He laughed. "Alright. You're not going to be able to get to a lower place though."

I shrugged. "I'll figure it out."

I spent the rest of my day flying. At one point Mr. Stark came out to watch me. He was very impressed with my progress.

That night, however, I was not at all impressed. My wings were so sore from holding them up all day, and I went right to sleep. The next day we had to leave, so I took one last flight from the roof to the jet, where Harley called me a showoff.

Going back into the city was fine, and so was the exiting of the jet. There was absolutely no one around, so I didn't have to run to the car. I also got stuck in the car, almost breaking my wing in the process of trying to get out. We decided from then on that we would take a larger car when commuting with me.

The next week was boring. I wasn't allowed to fly in the city unsupervised, and Peter wasn't available to hang out. I did speak to Harley a little bit, and Steve made me chocolate chip pancakes. Those were the highlights of my week.