41: Call for help

Malls have shit security.

That's what I thought when I woke up this morning.

The pigeon that hung out with me had decided to start fucking attacking my pizza, so I picked it up and placed it outside my tent. Then he came back, so I picked him up and put him outside my tent again. And then that bitch came back, so I gave him a slice of pepperoni for the dedication.

I woke up just before sunrise, so I dragged myself up to the edge of the building to watch the sunrise. The sky was a light purple, fading to pink, then orange, then yellow, then the bright orange ball of light some people like to call the sun.

I don't know what else you would call the sun though. God, maybe.

I laid in bed after, running back under shelter once the sun peeked over the buildings. I couldn't have anyone spot me.

I read They both die in the end. I cried. They did both die, at the end of the book, just as the title claimed.

I read almost all of the books I'd stolen that day. I knew I'd be reading them many more times, so I just scanned through most of them. It was falling to dusk, so I poked my head out of the shelter to watch the sun set in the west. 

I couldn't read once it was dark, so I got up and walked to the side of the roof, sitting on the edge. It was risky, but I was beginning to get much more comfortable with going out at night. 

Instead of sneaking in to shower that night, I decided to fly around. Check up on everything. See if anything needed to be done. I wasn't tired yet.

I didn't even stand, I just dropped forwards off the roof, plummeting to the street before I opened my wings. 

I lifted off the ground right away, flying above the street in a direction I didn't know.

I flapped my wings a few times, climbing high to reach the rooftops. I had a strange feeling like I'd been there before. The city rooftops all look the same, but then I noticed a certain someone's school in the distance. 

Well, not a school, but a large gap in the cramped buildings, which I recognized from earlier flights.

I went to turn around, flying sideways to turn, before hearing something.

In the distance, there was a series of gunshots and a pained shout. It came from my left. 

I immediately stopped turning, shifting ever so slightly to see between the buildings.

"Hey!" A man's voice shouted, not too far in the distance. Another shot went off. "Stop it!"

"Help!" Another voice, this one more familiar. 

"Oh shut up!"

I searched between the buildings for a sign of the shouts.

Another gunshot.

Another shout, this time one in pain.

A raspy, "Help!"

A thud.

Everything was getting louder.

Footsteps on the concrete.

No more shots.

"Someone-" A boy groaned.

I found him.

I landed on top of a roof, overlooking a dark alley. A light glow was emitted from the stripes on his suit, and his mask was pulled up to reveal his mouth.