21: The interview

Peter, Harley, Shuri, and I enjoyed a couple slices of pizza each before climbing up the staircase to take our seats on the stage. The order in the first row went from left to right, Peter, Mr. Stark, Pepper, Harley, and me. Behind us were two more rows of chairs slowly being filled by the avengers trickling in.

At exactly seven, the curtains opened and it revealed a huge crowd, like a lecture hall-sized room. my eyes immediately went wide with the number of people in the room. The people closest must've only been ten feet away, arms heavy with big black cameras and microphones set up all over the edge of the stage. In front of each person on stage, was a long table, each with a small microphone set up on it and a glass of water.

Mr. Stark started with a really long speech, reading off a projection at the back of the room. By the time he finished, it was seven-thirty. Then Pepper talked for a while, and Harley told me it was just the introductions. Mr. Stark finally started talking about the Avengers, and soon I had to stand up and show off my wings for everyone in the audience.

"Thank you all for being here tonight, to meet Max Pierce, our newest Avenger-to-be. She does have real wings, and the main rule is if you see her anywhere, do not touch the wings. It is both disrespectful and rude. Max, you can sit down now." He said, waving to me.

I immediately felt my face flush, folding up my wings and resting them behind my chair. 

"And now, we are going to answer some of the questions in the forms we posted." He took his seat, then pulled up a large hologram projection above us, reading off the screen. "The first is for everyone. Please specify your powers, abilities, and any known background information in relation to your Avenger life. We'll start with the top, James Buchanan Barnes. Hi there James." He waved and smiled at Bucky. Bucky glared at him.

"Uh, I was a super-soldier experiment in the 40s. I was frozen in ice, just like Captain America. I've got super strength, heightened senses, and a lot more stuff that doesn't really do much." He spoke like he was just sitting on a couch watching TV. He seemed okay with it all.

"I guess it's me now," Steve said.

This continued on for another almost hour, nearing nine. Harley and Mr. Stark both said I didn't speak, and Harley would be reading my answers for everyone. The crowd seemed to find it funny there was an Avenger who didn't talk.

When it was finally my turn, I took a while to type everything. 

I have heightened senses, and wings. I don't know much about my backstory, and my wings are real. Please do not touch them.

Harley repeated everything to the crowd, adding: "It's hard to type fast, so the answers are usually short."

We went on talking for another two hours, and once it hit eleven, Mr. Stark began the ending speech. He droned on about more updates and the legality situations with all the reporters.

Finally, Peter, Harley, and I made it back to the van. It was eleven-thirty. I think we all fell asleep in the car, just because the show was so exhausting. 

When we got back to the tower, everyone took off their makeup and fancy clothes, showered, and immediately went to bed. I could hear everyone's conversations, which was slightly awkward.

I crashed, not caring to bathe after the event. I was extremely tired, and bathing with wings isn't exactly easy. I have to shower without getting my wings wet as best possible, then I have to wash my wings, which just makes them so heavy, and then I have to dry them. It's basically a ninety-minute process that I could just do the next day.

I woke late this morning, F.R.I.D.A.Y. not yelling at me at six AM. Turns out Mr. Stark turned off her alarm today so we could all sleep in for once. 

Peter didn't have school, and Shuri was staying another couple days, so we all hung out a lot more. 

I learned how to play Uno, the game of life, chess, checkers, and monopoly, which did not end well. 

Peter even invited some of his friends from school to the tower. Apparently, they'd only been there a few times before, but they were allowed at the tower so that was cool.

When they first arrived, Shuri, Harly, and I were watching a show on TV in the commons room. Peter had gone out that morning to visit his apartment and bring his friend's past security. 

Just as the next episode began, the elevator bell rang. Harley paused it, sitting up and glaring at the doors as they opened slowly.

"Wassup!" A boy shouted, running into the room and sliding on his socks. He had tan skin and dark black hair, wearing a t-shirt and flannel.

"Ned." Harley nodded.

Peter ran out of the elevator, sliding into the boy and crashing to the floor. They landed with a loud thud, shaking the table next to me. "Hi, guys." He groaned from the floor.

A pretty girl with dark curly hair walked out of the elevator. She had black pants and a dark green jacket, and a huge black backpack slung over one shoulder. She walked in, not sliding on her socks.

She nodded to Harley, before seeing Shuri. She dropped her bag and ran into her open arms. I did not know what was going on.

They kissed, and I glanced at Harley. He was staring at Peter, who was brushing his hair out of his face. Peter helped the boy up, then throw a pillow at Shuri and the girl. "Get a room."

Yo I'm really fucking tired and bored but i need to sleep so y'all get a short ish chapter. Sorry its so full of paragraphs. And yes, I ship Shuri and MJ. 

Also my cat just got stuck in my bead curtain so i gotta go fix that.