37: Car ride

"So." I crossed my arms, my wings bent at all odd angles to fit in the car. 

"You are in so much trouble," Stark grumbled, speeding down the road.

"Okay."

"Why'd you do it?" He glanced back at me.

"Do what."

"Run away. Why did you run away?"

I shrugged. "Dunno."

Stark stayed silent.

"I just wanted to get out of the tower for a bit."

"And you literally broke out of your room, and went to Peter's school," Stark concluded. "Then, you stayed at his house for a few nights. And you went over to Michelle's...when?"

"I spent last night there."

"Oh, so you left before I got to Parker's apartment."

"Just after, actually. We snuck out the fire escape."

"Of course." Stark turned a corner sharply. "And let me guess, you flew to her house?"

I smiled at him in the mirror.

"Wonderful."

I shifted my wing, flipping it to curl around me in the small area. "I don't fit in this car."

"You are in a ton of trouble." Stark had ignored my last statement.

I rolled my eyes. 

"I don't know what I'm gonna do about you." He continued. "Force you to stay in a cell until you stop running away?"

"Don't do that," I said.

"Fine. I could leave you in the streets." He threatened. "Or I could put a camera in your room, make sure someone's watching the feed every second of the rest of your life. You'll never be out of my sight again."

"That's illegal."

"Nope."

"What-"

"You did this to yourself." He said. "I don't want to have to throw you in a cell for the rest of your life. I'd rather not have to watch you your whole life. And I don't want to throw you on the streets. They're all horrible things to do to a kid."

"Yep."

"You know, you were such a sweet little girl when I brought you in." Stark changed the subject. "And now, you've run away twice in a week, and you talk, and you're being a little brat. What happened."

I stared at his face in the mirror, and he turned around to look me in the eye when we were at the stoplight.

"Well?"

I clenched my fists. "I was not a little girl. I was a malnourished, abused kid. I was held in that laboratory for years, and no one did anything about it. On my fifteenth birthday, I thought you were a god. I thought you were going to save me from the life I'd hated." I paused as a car horn honked.

"And you didn't even see me! You gave me one tour and that was it! The rest of the avengers cooked me meals. Peter and Harley helped me learn about the world. Hell, they even taught me some swears! All while you were sitting alone, up in your lab, just like the scientists who worked on me."

"I am nothing like them!" He shouted, slamming his hands on the steering wheel. "I was working for you! Where do you think all that money came from? To replace the elevator? To buy you clothes, and a phone, and a computer?!"

"Those are little things!" I replied. "I would've been happy if you just played a game of cards with me or something! You're a horrible parent!" My vision was getting fuzzy. Water welled in my eyes, and I quickly wiped the tears away.