54: Conference room

"Can I come with you guys?" Peter asked Stark as he led me to the elevator.

"I guess. Suit up first, and don't just barge in. It could end very badly."

"Where are we going?" I asked. 

"We have some people for you to meet," Stark explained. 

He and I watched Peter's suit literally unfold from his bracelet.

"New invention." Peter smiled, holding the mask in his hands.

"Did you cut it up to do that?" Stark asked.

Peter frowned. "Pfft, no."

"Great. I spent a full four days working on that!" He exclaimed.

"Will someone please tell me what the fuck is going on?" I asked.

"Woah, there will be no swearing around them." Stark glared at me. 

"Fine. Tell me what's going on. And what the fuck happened."

"Alright-" He groaned, leaving the elevator. We were on the conference floor.

"Mr. Stark-" Peter slid his mask over his face. "Don't you think you should prepare her a little bit?"

"I don't have time." He pushed open the first door, entering a large room. There was the basic table in the middle, with six people sitting around it. I didn't recognize any of them, though they all had a slight familiarity with them.

The first one, a girl with dark brown wavy hair, and a soft brown skin tone sat closest to me. She looked very confused, and also very tired. Next to her, was a pale girl with long blonde hair, a scowl on her face, and her arms crossed. Then there was a boy with small eyes and spiky black hair. After that, was a girl with shoulder-length brown hair, and her hair was slightly darker at the tips like it was burnt. The last two were boys, one with a black floppy middle part, and the other with mousy brown hair, that looked like he just woke up. The only similarity between them all was they all had the same hospital gowns I was in before I changed upstairs.

"Um-" I looked at Stark. Peter hadn't come in yet.

"Everyone, this is Max. More well known as number one." Stark announced. "Max, sit there." He nodded to the seat next to the last boy, the one with messy brown hair. 

"What's going on?" I asked. "Who are all these people?"

"Max, sit down. No one here knows each other." He explained.

I frowned but sat down.

"Everyone," Stark began. "I am Tony Stark. There's a lot to talk about today."

"Are you the one who saved us?" The dark brown-haired girl asked.

"Hold on," Stark muttered. "Uh, as you all see, you're all in the same situation."

They all looked at me, who wasn't dressed anything like them.

"You all came from a sub-group of HYDRA workers." He stood up. "You each were tested on as children, under extreme care and supervision. The facilities working on you all were very bad and went against HYDRA themselves-"

"Hold on, hold on." The boy with the black floppy hair interrupted. "What's hydra?"

"It's a very, very bad organization," Stark said. "Assuming you guys know all of what Max was taught when she was first here, you all know how to read and write, and speak, right?"

Everyone nodded. 

"Perfect." He smiled. "I can't exactly brush over the traumatic parts of all of your guys' backstories, because you all had the same ones. You were all kidnapped as children, born with strange genetic mutations, whether physical or mental. The sub-group of HYDRA took you all and raised you. Then, a few months ago, HYDRA found out about you all. And HYDRA didn't like it."