Cracks

It started as a hobby, creating beats, putting together tunes, playing with words, now-

The Madrigals had asked your band to play music for Antonio's gifting ceremony, tonight. The whole band was ecstatic but you didn't seem to be fazed.

When you mentioned to your Abuela that you didn't want to go, she offered you an ultimatum: be there or she'll be inviting the Madrigals over for dinner. You've seen your Abuela get along with Alma Madrigal; there was no doubt that that wasn't a bluff.

When the night came, your band had been playing music for hours as guests rolled in, awaiting the moment the ceremony would begin.

Sticks of Binggala fireworks (sparklers) illuminating through the air, the kids running around with their mouth's full of giggles and snickers. The Madrigal's house was wrapped in wires of yellow light that made the house look like it was glowing.

After a few minutes, the band was silenced when Abuela Alma cleared her throat, grabbing everyone's attention. The Madrigal Grandchildren gathered behind her as she told the story of how the Encanto was blessed upon them.

Nervous, Antonio climbed the stairs. All the Madrigal Grandkids had their eyes on Antonio, but a certain pair were whispering to one another. Dolores and Camilo Madrigal.

You hadn't realized you were staring until Dolores whispered something to her brother making him turn his gaze to you, making you immediately rip your gaze away from them, locking your gaze on the little gift celebrant.

From your peripheral vision, you could see the shape shifter smirking as he studies your flustered expression.

Your face heated up with embarrassment, as you tried to play it off. The embarrassment got the best of your body, making your heart beat 70 mph. If it weren't for the sound of fireworks outside he could probably hear your heart beating.

Cheering.

Dancing.

Music.

You had forgotten about the incident and proceeded with your night. Everyone moved the celebration to Antonio's room, leaving you downstairs alone sitting with all your band's instruments.

At last, peace and silence at the ground floor of the Madrigal house. You were tidying up the instruments.

"Oh! Hi.. I didn't think anyone was still down here," a girl walked down the stairs with a pained smile.

"Yeah.. I'm the band's drummer." you introduced yourself, reaching your hand out.

"Hi band's drummer, I'm Mirabel." she joked, gripping your hand gently, shaking it.

You laughed at her remark. "I'm Y/n," you corrected your previous statement, letting go of the handshake.

"Nice to meet you," she smiled. "So! You play the drums," she tried to start a conversation.

"Yeah.. I sense that something is bothering you, are you alright?" you asked, seeing her wear a forced smile bothered you.

Before she finished her sentence you felt a little light headed, but tried to play it off. "Are you ok? you don't look so good," she stopped talking about what upset her when she noticed your lips start to turn pale.

Suddenly, the house started to shake and crack. Your head felt like it was going to burst, your lungs felt like it was underwater, Mirabel rushed to your side and supported your body upwards. But then-

It suddenly disappeared.

The pain you were feeling was gone, the headache, the breathlessness. Just gone.

"You see that right?" she stuttered as she looked around the house and saw the massive cracks.

"I think I should go home.." you were too focused on the pain you were feeling earlier to worry about what happened to the house, you were confused.

"We have to warn the others! Casita's falling apart.."

1

"The girl is turning white, Mirabel." Alma gritted her teeth as the entirety of the village stared at the two of you. You tried to ground yourself but somehow it felt as if the iron in your body had disappeared into thin air.

"Abuela, I swear the.. The house was cracking! Y/n tell her!" Mirabel shook your body while she supported you from falling to the ground.

You couldn't respond.

"Mirabel, maybe you should give her rest." Camilo's voice entered the conversation with a nervous laugh trying to defuse the unwanted and unnecessary attention on the conflict taking place.

"Camilo's right," Alma turned to the people. "Everything is fine! The magic is strong!" she announced back to the people who were ignorant enough to resume the celebration. However your band had decided to stop preforming that night, since they were down a drummer.

"Luisa, please help this young girl get home, safely." Alma clenched her jaw, as your Abuela made her way out of the crowd to accompany Luisa to your home. 

As Luisa picked you up carefully while you closed your eyes tightly trying to get your head to stop spinning, barely even aware of the spinning world around you. You could barely hear your band members trail after you, pushing one another as they struggle to keep up with  Luisa's long strokes.

You had lost all consciousness on the way home. The rest of the night was pitch back.

Author's note:

This is a little short for a first chapter but just trust the process, I will (try) not disappoint! 😊

Feedback and criticism are always welcome! ✨