Curious Vendor

The next morning you woke up late in the afternoon. You didn't tell anyone what happened last night, mainly because you didn't understand it yourself. You weren't going to get any answers if you stayed in bed all day, so you decided to take a stroll around the village.

You greeted familiar vendors and shopkeepers as you walked pass them. You were caught up in your own thoughts to notice someone standing in your way.

With a quiet gasp and a few stumbling steps back, you darted your eyes up.

It was an elderly vendor from down the streets. You apologized for bumping into her but she just gave a soft chuckle. Guilty, you offered to help her carry her boxes of supplies for her shop. 

"How did you like the gifting last night?" she asked trying to make conversation as you walked along side her.

"What makes you think I went?" you teased. In reality, you just didn't know what to think of last night.

"Everyone in the village was there, you can't convince me you weren't there. Besides, I recognize you. You were the girl that fainted in the middle of the party," she confessed, looking at you with a smile. "Did you meet anyone interesting? A pretty girl like you must've been charmed last night, perhaps by a handsome young man." she emphasized her words as she leaned towards you with a gleeful smile.

You rolled your eyes, snorting a laugh at her antics.

"Lots of people meet their husbands and wives at the Madrigal's gifting ceremonies," she smiled. "Who knows.. Maybe you'll be charmed away by one of the Madrigals themselves."

You conceded after seeing the determination in the shop owner's eyes, "I'm not into gifted people but I like that the shape-shifter is good with kids,"

Not quite satisfied with your answer, she asks "Is that you look for in a husband?"

"OK, 'husband' is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?" you laughed at her choice of words. "But to answer your question; No, but I do like kids.." you shrugged. It never hit you until now that you've never really thought much about your ideal soul mate

"Ah, so you like kids." She seemed somewhat please with that piece of information.

"Yeah.. I've always wanted siblings but it wasn't meant to be." You smiled at your childhood dreams, remembering the times you'd cry and beg your Abuela for a sibling.

You've reached your destination before you were able to answer any more of her question. You set the boxes down.

"Ay, Camilo," an elderly voice groaned.

Looking up, you see an exact duplicate of the vendor next to you.

Confused, your eyes flickered from one duplicate to the other. Suddenly, the "vendor" that you've been conversing with, merged into a teenage boy with a triumphant smirk bouncing on his lips.

Your cheeks heated up after you've made a complete fool of yourself.

Every time you tried to utter a word you just grew more frustrated and flustered.

"Careful Señorita, if you grow any redder you might hurt yourself," he patted your head with his hand. You swatted his hand away with a scowl on your face.

Delighted by your reaction, he chuckled and walked away. Eventually, you calmed yourself with the thought of not seeing him again.

I mean, what are the chances?

You used the walk home to rid and calm your frustrations of the shape shifter. On your walk home, you made it a point to start avoiding La Familia Madrigal.

You sucked in a final breath to clear your mind before entering the house. You walked in and saw Mirabel pacing on your living room floor.

I spoke too soon. Was there something about be that attracted Madrigals?