Suspicious

There you were; sitting in the dining room with the Madrigals, Mariano and his mother, and the brother of the man that dishonored your family by being absent the moment you entered this world.

Despite your stomach being empty, you didn't want to eat. In fact, you felt sick; spiteful. The dinner was more serene than you had expected, despite Isabela sweating nervously.

You could see Camilo whisper to Mirabel, asking who the strange man was and Mirabel whispering back as she pushed her food around.

You tried to stay quiet to avoid making a scene at the night Isabela gets engage. You could tell Carlo was hesitating to make conversation with you and the moment his mouth opened slightly you stood up.

Everyone turned to you.

"Excuse me." you walked out.

You had no idea what was going through your head. You just didn't wanna be there. Carlo followed you outside the house and close to the forest. Behind Carlo was Camilo following, despite Peppa holding his wrist as a warning for him to leave the situation alone but he followed out anyways.

"Y/n—" he tried to call.

"Leave me alone." you interrupted, answering him calmly and empty.

He stopped following after you.

By the time Camilo got outside there was no one there anymore. He decided to leave it alone, so he walked back inside to the engagement dinner.

-

The next day, you found out that Isabela never got engaged. Alma had a fallout with Mariano's mother. Camilo woke you up early that morning. He wanted to check up on you, and maybe join him for a long walk as well.

"So, your uncle left this morning." Camilo broke the news to you.

"Surprising." you muttered sarcastically; he really was my father's brother. Camilo just laughed. In a sense, it lifted your spirits. "Where are we going?" you asked, realizing you were walking through the woods, the opposite way to Casita.

"Breakfast." he smiled, revealing a picnic set up on the leafy ground.

"I'm not really hungry," you smiled, softly.

"You're never hungry," Camilo noticed you falling into depression over the past days. Maybe it was too soon to have introduce you to his family, even Dolores agreed.

The Madrigal's powers have been extremely weak recently. The grandkids agreed that it was best they didn't burden you any furthur with this.

There was an issue yoi had been meaning to bring up as well. But the air fell silent.

"You know how the candle had given me half its life?" you broke the silence. Camilo nodded. "Now that it's dying, I have to figure out a way to keep it alive?"

Camilo was silent again. No response; not liking where the conversation was heading.

"What if I can't?" you asked calmly. Camilo opened his mouth to give you words of reassurance but you interrupted him, "What if it's dying and the only way it could be save was to give back the life it gave me?"

Camilo's face merged into an expression of horror. If Camilo had to chose between the girl he liked or the thing that made his family special, what would he have chosen?

You stared at the grass while the silence left Camilo with his own boisterous thoughts.

"Camilo," you called. "Can I ask you a question?"

Desperate to get out of his thought, Camilo replied, "Yeah?"

"Would you choose me over the the candle?" you asked. You were relying on his answer; he was the only reason you fought for her life.

You and the candle have a game of tug of war going on. A mutual agreement. You had a chance to take the rest of the candle's life for your own and the chance to give the life the candle had gifted to her.

Silence.

"Camilo, would you choose candle or me?"

Author's note:

Hellur :) Fr lost motivation for this so I'm probably gonna rush to end it soon or just delete it-