Church

[The flame festival]

"Do you believe in God?" you asked, your feet dangling on the edge of the cliff.

Camilo chuckled and shook his head, "No, I don't.."

It was a big deal for him to admit that to someone. Camilo had a conservative, religious family.

"Is– is that bad?" he asks, looking at you.

"No, what do you believe in then?" you asked. "If you don't believe in God then you don't believe he created the whole universe. Then what do you believe in?"

"I don't believe in anything. Bad things happen to good people, if there was a God that shouldn't be happening and if God does exist he's cruel for allowing that to happen."

"Bad things happen to good people.." you repeated, nodding your head.

-

You woke up crying. It wasn't unusual but this time you woke up sobbing. You coughed aggressively as you choked on your own saliva.

You were in your old room. The room you grew up in. You were still covered head to toe in dirt. Your body ached like hell lived inside you.

You groaned softly as you tried to sit up.

The doorknob twisted slowly, revealing Ines. She stood there frozen, seeing you awake. She was scared to come close to realize she was being delusional. If this was a dream she didn't want to wake up.

"Camilo, if this is a joke I am going to cry." She spoke to you, her voice cracking.

"What are you talking abou-" Camilo walked in as well.

"Hi," you smiled.

"You see her too, right?" Ines, still in disbelief. "Please don't pinch me."

Camilo ran up to you, wasting no time to kiss you.

He did it.

There wasn't a thought in his head. He just did it. If this was a dream he wanted to do that before he woke up.

"It's nice to see you too," you laughed.

"I have so much to tell you," he whispers.

Ines cried. Camilo smiled, for the first time in days. He was just enjoying the feeling of having you awake before explaining anything.

Camilo explained that when casita fell apart, they decided to take shelter in your Abuela's home ans how you've been asleep for 3 days. Camilo left out how everyone felt terrible for how they treated you before.

Ines kept crying.

"Come, let's go downstairs."

Camilo supported you while you limped your way down. Camilo's cousins were cooking with Julieta. Peppa and Dolores was babysitting Antonio.

"Good morning," you spoke, surprising everyone in the room. They immediately stopped what they were doing and turned their heads making sure that they weren't hearing voices.

Dolores just smiled and nodded at you.

For the first time in a ling while, the Madrigals did not scream or cheer in celebration. The Madrigals just hugged you and cried silently.

The fatigue started to overwhelm you so Ines helped you back up to your room. She helped you down on your bed.

"I'm glad you're finally awake," Ines smiled. "The Madrigals were total duds while you were away."

"Were they?" you asked bracing yourself for pain as you leaned back.

"Camilo was a mess," she shook her head. "He wouldn't eat or sleep, he wouldn't even go outside and when he did go outside he went to church,"

"Church? What was he doing there?" you asked.

"He spent hours sitting there, I don't know, praying maybe?" Ines shrugged and he covers you with a blanket.

"That doesn't make sense," you laughed, softly. "Camilo doesn't believe in God."

"Well, he spent a shit ton of time there."

For once, in a long time, Camilo put his faith on God to save you. That was how desperate he was.

"How's the band?" you asked.

"We all agreed to go on hiatus for a while, after everything is alright with you." She replied.

"How sweet." You yawned.

"You know, I have a hunch that Camilo likes you a lot more than you think." Ines whispers. "I think he loves and cares for you a lot,"

"I know he does."

Your eyes slowly weighed down. Closing, slowly. And then, you fell asleep.

"Do you love him too?"

Author's Note:
another update !! I kinda remembered this was a slow burn— don't tell my beta reader I made them kithh!

Enjoyy